Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 18:37
When checking for prices of (big, 128GB and more) usb (3.0) sticks at the website of one Japan's well known electronic chains (and others) I found them to be quite high in comparison to european prices. So is it maybe a bad idea to go shopping for usb sticks (for photo backups) in japan, and I should rather buy them at home and bring them along?
I bought 128GB for about half of what I saw online (in Japan), and that was well-known brands.
I know some things are quite expensive in japan (DVDs, BRs, right?) but USB Memory..? weird.
(In case you are wondering, if you shoot raw images and stay for a few weeks, then yes, you need hundreds of gigs for photos :))

Thanks!
by yaja (guest)  

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 19:44
(In case you are wondering, if you shoot raw images and stay for a few weeks, then yes, you need hundreds of gigs for photos :))

No, you don't, unless you are a terrible photographer and are just shooting indiscriminately without thinking. :)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 19:49
Sadly off-topic (my fault ;)) but you think ~50-100 photos/day are too many..? and I am not even talking about having (at least) one backup.
by yaja (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 20:11
Why USB sticks? For the same price or little more you can buy a 1TB external drive. Are you bringing a tablet/smartphone or notebook?
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 20:18
I usually shoot RAW+Jpeg (high) and take about 800-1200 shots a day when I travel in Japan. I have two or three 32GB cards with me and dump them to a 1TB portable hard drive every night when I get back to the hotel, using a Surface tablet computer that I also use as my communication tool in Japan.

And yes, the prices of any media storage in Japan is much, much higher than the prices you can get in America or through Amazon. I would not buy those storage devices (USB sticks or USB/Micro cards) in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/14 21:25
Thanks, John! So I got the right impression. Still puzzles me.

A portable hard drive takes up more space and is heavier, I am also a little worried about the stress travel might put on it. But in theory I agree, it IS a viable, cheap option.. :)

Mainly I was just amazed at the high prices and wanted to confirm whether they were representative of the memory price realities in japanese stores. ;)

thx everybody, I got what I wanted.
by yaja (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/15 01:57
I buy USB memory sticks here in Japan all the time, at various major electronic chain stores, and the biggest I see at real-life stores (brick-and-mortar stores) are 32GB. Just a note for your reference.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/15 11:38
USB memory sticks are relatively expensive at brick and mortar stores. If you get them online they are roughly 5000-6000 yen for a 128gb drive. I'm not sure how that compares to where you are but I find that very comparable to US prices at least. If you want to buy in Japan then look at amazon and have it shipped to your hotel.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/17 12:22
I think it's best to tell us the specific band and model of the USB 3 stick, that you can get in Europe, and then we have a better idea of the comparison.

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USB Memory (usb sticks) expensive in Japan? 2015/6/17 13:59
It'd be far more economical to get a portable hard drive, like this 2TB drive (or one just like it):
http://bhpho.to/1IjYmfv
It's only about $80, and it's not much bigger than a credit card (122.3 x 81.1 x 15.5mm). Even if you were shooting 4K video, you can stuff a ton of stuff on it.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread