Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting my Japanese guy friend 2015/6/15 07:52
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this isn't that relevant to this forum(first time user)

At the end of June I'm meeting my guy friend for the first time. We met on a site called "Interpals" and hit it off. I'm Irish and he's currently in Ireland studying for a few months(we're on opposite ends of the country) He wants to come to see my county and spend time with me. He's planning to stay in my area for 3 days. I'm hoping to spend two days with him, showing him around. (I'm 21, he's 19)
My question is, is there anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable when he's with me?
His English level through messages is pretty good but he's told me his spoken English is terrible so I'm a bit worried that we'll encounter communication issues and it'll make things awkward.

If you could give me any tips or advice I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you!
by fairy (guest)  

Re: Meeting my Japanese guy friend 2015/6/15 22:45
I would say that it is very likely that he is being honest. When writing, there is ample time to read someone's message and then formulate a response. You can double check everything and get it perfect before sending.

With real conversation, it's much harder. You should speak slowly and clearly at first until you can gauge his ability. Not so slow as to be insulting of course, but maybe reduce your natural talking speed a bit. Try to stick to easier vocabulary, if you have ever studied another language yourself then you might have a good idea as to what kind of words he is likely to know. He's 19, so unless he has lived abroad for a decent chunk of his life, his language abilities are likely rather limited.

He is unlikely to know a lot about local dialects as well, so if you use that kind of language, be prepared to explain what it means as well haha.

Facial expressions and gestures are different as well. A great deal of our communication in English can come from these. They are often different in Japanese. In my experience, facial expressions, body language and gestures aren't used as much in Japanese, so be aware also of all the things that you often don't have to say, that a native speaker would pick up on, but your friend is unlikely to.

Have fun!
by Heh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread