Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/15 09:52
Hello

I'll be in Japan for a few months and will need to dye my hair during this time. I've heard the Japanese hair dyes do not work well on Western hair; particularly for grey coverage.

Does anyone know where (if anywhere) Western hair dye products are sold in Tokyo?

Thanks in advance
by Geenie (guest)  

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/15 11:17
Hi There,

I bought some hair color in Japan where I was on an extended stay in Kyoto.

I could not find Western hair color; however, I went to the drugstore and ended up buying a Japanese brand (unfortunately forgot the name) that was made in Thailand.

After getting some translation help from the hotel concierge on reading the instructions, I proceeded to use the color and was really quite pleased with the results!

I honestly would not worry about the Japanese brands drying your hair out (at least that was not my experience). The only really noticeable difference was that the Western brand that I usually use is liquid in consistency, whereas the Japanese brand was more 'pasty.'

If you are really concerned, you could also pack a box, or two, of the color you use at home.

Good Luck
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/16 12:28
Thanks so much for replying. I'm looking to take some with me; just unsure if it's considered a dangerous good or not.
by Geenie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/16 15:22
You can bring up to a two month supply (two boxes). However, double check this with your local Japanese Consulate/Embassy office.

As for covering gray (as mentioned in your initial post), the color I used Japan covered mine just as well as the Clairol that I use here in the USA.

Hope this helps.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/17 13:57
Thanks again. Unfortunately my usual hair dye contains hydrogen peroxide which my airline will not allow for travel. So I'll keep an eye out in Japan for the one you have described. Thanks!

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/18 11:40
In Japan, there are two kinds of hair dye: 黒髪用 (hair dye for naturally dark hair or sometimes also pre-bleached dark hair) and 白髪用 (hair dye for grey / white hair). I have used both kinds before without much problem. The only things that I have noticed are:
- The variation of colors for 白髪用 hair-dye is much smaller, virtually all of them are different shades of brown
- I have to dye my hair more often compared to my home country, probably because there is more Chlorine in Japanese tap-water.
by jessy589 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/18 23:54
Japanese (Asians) have coarse and dark hair more than European. I think hair-dyeing products sold in Japan should work for European, if you use it properly.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying hair dye in Japan 2015/6/19 07:18
Thanks everyone. Will give them a go and see what happens :)

reply to this thread