Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 13:04
Hey I'm Arnold. I have an anxiety issues were if a person is staring at me for no reason I start to shake, my hands and my legs just start to shake because I am so nervous. I want to meet a friend in japan but I am worried about people starring at me and start to shake and can't stop. Is there anyway I can change my appearance to get less stares or anything else I can do?
by Arnold (guest)  

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 14:51
Hi. as you describe the best for you would be to go straight to a psychologist!
ThatLs what you need!
He or she would help you properly!
Forget asking elswhere!
by Chelote rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 14:59
Move away from Tokyo.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 15:15
Firas, I think he means that he is afraid of Japanese people staring at him because he is a gaijin..

I don't think that us foreigners stare hard at other foreigners..If I see one I move away quickly....
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 15:53
It's an odd thing to say - but unless you are doing something strange (like shaking uncontrollably) then people don't tend to stare at you much in Japan.

There might be some instances where people might stare at you for being a foreigner - but this would have to be in the absolute middle of no-where where us gaijins are non-existent. Most commonly, locals will ask you where you are from, what you like about Japan and other general questions.

I've never really had people stare at me (unlike in Taiwan - thats another story for another day).

If you are really worried about being stared at - then it might not be a good idea to come to Japan. People here tend to leave you alone unless you do things are have things which are very out there. Being extremely loud all the time or full body tattoos comes to mind.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 17:17
Dress conservatively, try not to make big gestures or movements when walking, and be conscious of how much space you take up. Try and keep your body and the personality you project as compact as possible.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/17 23:54
I see everyone's point. The reason why I have to go is because my friend is old and he never traveled before. I have traveled many times to Canada and other places. He is in Yokohama, I think it is somewhat close to Tokyo? I'm not sure but I think the real question is would people stare at me in Yokohama?
by Arnold (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 00:01
Bro, you will be okay. once you touch down in Tokyo or whatever city, you are just another person. unless your a really really really tall person.

like mfedley said, "There might be some instances where people might stare at you for being a foreigner - but this would have to be in the absolute middle of no-where where us gaijins are non-existent."

The only small problem I can see that will cause you to have your anxiety is the school students may walk up to you and test their English on you or as they are walking by say hellow, how are you.

enjoy your trip
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 03:15
I have not found that people stare much really. Its more the glancing that we do in most cultures just to see who that person is. I live in Belgium and there people really stare for long periods without looking away. That was very disconcerting when I first came here.

I agree that you should dress conservatively (maybe even business dress) and don't attract attention and I doubt you will be stared at much if at all. People seem too busy to have time to stare in my opinion.
by Angus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 11:09
That is useful information, and one more thing. Is Osaka the same as Tokyo with gaijin? or is it different? because my friend offered to take me to Osaka but I said no because I was scared....

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 15:00
I must have seen many ten of thousands people each day in each trip to Japan I made since the mid-90s..
I can't remember being stared at, to the point that I noticed....

One time I was in a huge crowd --Really HUGE--in a temple in Osaka, and Japanese next to me were smiling at me, and me at them..

When we arrived at the entrance of the temple monks were blessing people from a raised platform..when they saw me they leaned as far as they could, without falling dow,n to bless me..they were all very friendly...

Seriously man, get some balls!
If someone were to stare, really really stare at me....with wide eyes, an open mouth..I would quickly check my fly..

if closed, then it could only mean that they find me the handsomest male in that place, at that time..

Osaka is like Tokyo is like Yokohama is like Nagoya is like etc.

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 20:55
You're being too self conscious. More often than not, people are too busy with their own lives (or their smartphones) to be bothered with you. Plus, if you're in a big city, instead of staring, the most they'll do is glance at or take double look, that's all.
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 21:14
I think Nagoya is a different story, I know someone who went to Nagoya and got a lot of stares, they never seen a non-Japanese before. I know that I should stay away from places like Kyoto because that is an old city and the people there love their history. I have an old friend who is Chinese and she got a lot of stares here. She told me it is fun but they do stare though... I wish I could go....

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 21:28
That's odd about your Chinese friend...unless she's doing something really out of the ordinary to attract attention, usually Japanese people cannot tell if you're Chinese (or Korean) unless you let them know or when you open your mouth and have accented Japanese/cannot speak the language. I know because I am Chinese myself and I live in Japan. No one ever thought I was non-Japanese until I told them and they all told me they didn't know because "I look exactly like a Japanese".
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 21:32
Seriously, you won't go to Kyoto because of people staring?
What are we going to tell the other millions who go there each year?
A piece of advice- toughen up or go visit another country, but don't go to Antarctica- the penguins just stare and stare and stare!!!
by couldabeen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/18 23:03
if a person is staring at me for no reason I start to shake

Well, they do have a reason. They're interested in you in one way or another. Try smiling to them. Most people will either smile back at you or become shy and look the other way.

Is there anyway I can change my appearance to get less stares or anything else I can do?

Yes, you can let your friend come pick you up. If you're worried about being a foreigner, then let your friend come to the airport. The airport is half foreign, so you won't be too different.

You still might get stares while being with your friend, but I'm sure you'll feel more protected or secure than being alone.

Welcome to the new world.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/19 00:30
SO many non-Japanese people visit Japan every year. You will not be a novelty for them.

It's very hard to be the only gaijin anywhere, especially if you're going to major cities (you mention Osaka, Nagoya, Kyoto. These places are hugely popular with overseas visitors). They get brazillions of visitors from all over the world.

Even if you do find yourself being the only gaijin in a situation, it's overwhelmingly likely that the people around you see other foreign visitors quite regularly, and so will not find you worth a second glance.

I've never felt that there was anyone staring at me. Sure, there's the normal cursory glance that goes on everywhere around the world, but I've never felt that anyone was staring at me. Not even when naked in onsens (in fact, particularly when naked in onsens).

The only situations when I became aware that anyone was paying attention to what I was doing were the few times when it became apparent that a helpful and considerate Japanese person had been keeping half an eye on what I was trying to do (work out how to buy a ticket for the subway, or something similar), so that they could offer me help if I was having problems.

Seriously, Japan is a hugely welcoming place to visit. Even if people think you're seriously weird, you'd never know it because they'd never tell you to your face.

If at all possible, I would urge you to try and find a way to relax and enjoy this amazing opportunity to have the trip of a lifetime. (I'm not dismissing your anxiety, but I hope you can find a way to at least manage it).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/19 03:55
..".I think Nagoya is a different story, I know someone who went to Nagoya and got a lot of stares, they never seen a non-Japanese before"..
What that in the 19th century? do you really believe that?

I went to Nagoya one time and no one stared at me!
however, on the main avenue I sat on a bench with several older Japanese and we all stared at:
1- to our left at a group of young men dressed up in black leather and with huge hair Elvis Presley like.. they had a small portable generator that they used to power their radio AND a hair dryer
2-to our right at a group of young men in Yukata, dancing a traditional dance
3-every so often a young guy went through the whole area on a skateboard!

Now..THAT whole scene was worth staring at..
The old timers smiled at me..pointing to the 2 groups...I must have looked very normal to them...

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/19 18:13
I get stared at a lot, by all kind of people but especially by old people, in the subway or on the street. I live in the Tokyo. It makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes, but haven't find a way to avoid it so far. If you find some tips let me know !!
by 13 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to eliminate gaijin stares? 2015/6/19 19:57
You cannot change how people around you behave. If they choose to stare, what can you do? Wear a mask and sunglasses while walking around all the time? Or dig out their eyes so they can't stare anymore? Of course not. That sounds ridiculous.

If you can't change how other people react, then change the way you think about it. That's the one thing you can do. Switch your mindset.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

reply to this thread