Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/21 21:09
Hi,

Will be visiting one of the onsen in Hakone, but I have issue with totally naked in front of strangers. I have read the guide in this website..this website states that we must leave the small towel out of the bath area or wrap around your head.. but after you wash yourself, is it okay to cover your private area with the small towel? And when you approach the bath, you need to dip yourself in the bath, you removed the small towel, will anyone stare at you? How do you cover yourself?
by splashysplash  

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 14:09
No need to cover your private parts. No one is looking at you(well some do).

First of all, wash your body first. No need to wash so well but take a soup and body towel to wash your body.

Secondly, move into the bath tub. Do no take your towels in the tub. Leave it as you washed your body, or, put on your head if it is a small towel. Soaking your towel and hair inside bath tub is very very bad manner in JP.
Enjoy your Onsen there in tub.

Thirdly, if it's satisfied, you can either leave there, or, you can wash your body, face and hair at washing place. After you have washed, you can again back to the tub and enjoy your Onsen again.

Before you leave, wipe your body and hair, dripping around the changing room is another bad manner in JP. When you get to the changing room, dry your body and hair with a bath towel or large towel very well.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 17:39
below are brief info on manners and etiquette when visiting onsen or bath house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMnb56OLnek

after you wash yourself, is it okay to cover your private area with the small towel?
use the small towel to cover your private part as you're walking around the bath if you''re not comfortable. some people do cover their private part with small towel.

some will look or stare at you out of curiosity.

definitely do not enter into the bath with the towel, leave it on the side or put it on your head.

also handy to wipe the sweat of your face.

by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 19:27
1) Ok, do you guys thinks this is weird? Walk to the front of the bath, remove the towel and put it on my head, then get into the water? Is this right?

2) Should I go to onsen after meal or before meal? I afraid that the hot water might have some chemical reaction or etc that will cause me nausea or feeling of puking.

3) So if I want to get out of the bath, I should wash myself at the wash area and then wipe myself dry. Is this the correct sequence?

4) There are how many towels given to you? Should I bring an extra one?
by splashysplash rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 20:05
Did you watch the earlier posted youtube video link?

1) Just make sure you don't get the small towel in the bath.

2) Most people do it before meal, even if after meal normally at least 30mins after. YMMV.

3)You wash before you go in, wash again before you go out.
wipe off your body with the small towel you had. once in the locker use your big or bath towel to dry wipe.

4) Bring your own towel (big/bath towel and small towel). Onsen will charge you extra cost for rental towel set. Some Ryokan hotel may provide free complimentary towels for the staying guest.
by .@. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 21:19
Just to let you know - I'm also the same as you but I also love onsens.

The basic trick is:

1) Wash yourself thoroughly before you get it. Don't forget to clean all the soap off you and the surrounding area

2) Get into the bath. It's ok to have the small towel in front of your privates or your hand

3) Enjoy your bath. I tend to leave the small towel on the side of the onsen (so it's not going to touch the water

4) Get out. It's ok to have your hands or small towel in front of your privates. Even some Japanese do this.

5) Quickly rinse your body. This is not to get you clean - but to possibly get rid of the sulphur smell from your body from the onsen
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 22:04
When moving around in the bathing room, it would look elegant to lightly cover your front with a face towel or hand towel, using one of your hands. If you are a woman with a face towel, you can drape the towel from your breast. It's not very common to wrap your towel around your body in the bathing room, so most bathers have their behinds shown.

You can bath whenever you want as much as you want, but you are encouraged to stay out of the bathing room when you are drunk. Popular hours are sunset and sunrise. Crowded hours at touristical spots are just before dinner when everyone has come back from sightseeing.

The number of towels provided depends on the facility, but one face towel is the least, and often the only, you need. You can twist your wet towel so that it's dry enough to wipe off all the excess water from your body before you come back to the dressing room. That said, a lot of people might use one face towel for the bathing room and one bath towel for the dressing room and maybe one of his/her favorite scrubbing material.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen ettiquette 2015/6/22 22:42
Towels can be rented at the onsen counter desk, 200-300 Yen per bath towel(large) and a 100-200 Yen for face towel(small), you need one face towel and one bath towel either rent or bring in each onsen.
Just watch how the other customers(onsen users) are doing there, and do follow them.
Onsen is a sharing space for relaxation, do not swim inside bath tub(people often do), do not soak your towel and hair, get either shower or wash your body briefly before you go into bath tub.

I normally take a bath before I eat but it's your own choice.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread