Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A1522 in Japan 2015/7/7 10:25
I am looking for some knowledge / advice on bringing an iPhone to Japan. I know I could just buy one there but rather bring my own. I currently own : USA A1522 (T-Mobile) Factory Unlocked iPhone 6 Plus. The question is, will this do? I plan to reside in Japan for at least 2 years so I need a dependable phone for everyday use. I know there's different bands or whatever, I really have no clue what the difference is so that's why I need your help! :) I don't know if I'm better off trading this for a A1524, or something else? I want to be able to have talk, text, and data through a service (maybe prepaid like b-mobile to have a cheaper bill?). Thank youuuu
by imagaijinnnn (guest)  

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/7 11:44
Yes, it will work.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/8 01:37
^ so why do people recommend the unlocked sprint iphones?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/8 05:38
...so you can escape Sprint's crappy service and actually get a signal somewhere ;)

Being serious now, where are you seeing Sprint phones specifically being recommended? All unlocked current model iphones should work essentially the same on a Japanese sim.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/8 07:26
Haha! I'm not sure where exactly I read it, because I wasted a couple hours researching everywhere. Few different people commenting that the A1524 unlocked is a must. People complaining that the "US AT&T" iPhone isn't working in Japan. I read somewhere else that the extra bands in the Sprint iPhone is needed to use in Japan. I have a headache from all this reading and can't find a firm answer.
by imagaijinnnn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/8 12:36
by iphone6injapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/8 12:37
not a firm answer there, either. o.O
by iphone6injapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/9 11:28
The post from Dec 18, 2014 seems to be a pretty definitive confirmation that an unlocked t-mobile iphone will work.

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/9 11:30
I read somewhere else that the extra bands in the Sprint iPhone is needed to use in Japan.

If you mean the CDMA band, it's virtually useless as the only CDMA provider in Japan doesn't sell non-contract service.

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/9 14:30
Thank you. You've been awesome.
by imagaijinnnn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/10 06:53
You can check here for some details.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: A1522 in Japan 2015/7/10 10:50
Yes, but note that the official compatibility list is notoriously misleading as it only lists officially supported carries that sell contract service. To actually check compatibility you have to look at the supported LTE bands, in which case you'll see that virtually all unlocked iphone 6 models should work on the local Japanese carriers.

reply to this thread