Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/9 22:19
Hi
I'm going to travel Japan and I thought of buying a new Xperia phone in Akihabara. I searched the net and the forum and found old answers that I can buy from DOCOMO and pay to make it simfree. Does anyone know if it is still the case?
or maybe there are reliable and cheaper shops in Akihabara?

Thanks
by Sean (guest)  

Re: Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/10 10:29
You can theoretically do it via docomo, but it may be easier to go via a third party shop in Akihabara. Check out iosys, they are often recommended on this forum:

http://iosys.co.jp/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/10 16:07
Thank!
So...just to be sure I got it right... if I go to IOSYS and get a LTE sim free phone, it should work worldwide?
by Sean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/10 17:15
Depends on the phone and where you plan to use it. Gotta check the specs of each model.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/14 09:17
Over the years, I've bought numerous SIM devices from iosys, including smart phones and DoCoMo phones, that can be unlocked.

DoCoMo phones will often be geared towards the Japanese market, including Japanese frequencies, so be aware of that. Many of the well known international brands will be ok, however.

Check your home frequencies for GSM, 3G & LTE (4G), then compare with the models you find in iosys. I found an Xperia C3, which had a British plug, so it was an international SIM free (unlocked model).
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying SimFree phone in Akihabara 2015/7/17 07:19
Akihabara is showing up with many international model, if you have your current sim, bring that along and you can test it out if the phone is really a sim free model.

There is a lot of nexus 4-5 available in japan, I think they are sim free.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread