Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I need to inform immigration? 2015/7/22 12:00
Hi, I was recently an exchange student studying abroad in Japan, who recently ended my studies at the beginning of July. On my passport and resident's card, it states I have a landing permission that does not expire until the end of August. I planned on staying in Japan a few weeks after school ended until this Friday, and, by my understanding, as long as the landing permission is valid, I should be fine. However, I misunderstood, and did not realize I needed to inform immigration of me leaving school within 14 days. My question is, since I am leaving within two days, should I inform immigration beforehand, or will there not be a problem? For the record, it has only been a few days since the end of the 14 days. Also, by my understanding, a person is given up to 30 days, or is it 90 days, once they leave school, job, etc., to change or leave the country. Does that apply here? If somebody could answer this question asap, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.
by stuckinjapan55 (guest)  

Re: Do I need to inform immigration? 2015/7/22 16:03
So you have been here on "Student" status, your studies finished at the beginning of July (with permission to stay until end of August), and you have been traveling/sightseeing for a bit over past two weeks in Japan without informing Immigration of your situation change?

The rule is to report the change of your circumstances that substantiate your resident status (work, school, etc.) within 14 days of the change. But considering that you are leaving in two days, I would not bother. If they ask you at immigration at the departing airport, just say sorry that you did not report the change. (Your school might have reported it.)

Just to be sure, you have not done any part-time work after your studies finished, right? That's about the only thing you wouldn't have been eligible to do had you changed immediately to Temporary Visitor status from Student.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need to inform immigration? 2015/7/22 17:05
I see. I will apologize to them, if they bring something up and explain the situation. If nothing comes up, then I won't mention anything.

Yes, that is correct. I have not been working at all since leaving my school over here. I have just been traveling around Japan.
by stuckinjapan55 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread