Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa Extended Stay - Need Data Only 2015/7/26 01:23
I am traveling to Okinawa for one year as a contractor, what are my options for getting data during my stay? T-Mobile in the US offers an international plan that includes Japan, but I am worried the speeds might be slow. A lot of the wifi hotspot options I see offer short term rates and I cannot find anything for a stay for one year. Any advice is appreciated.
by Munch718 (guest)  

Re: Okinawa Extended Stay - Need Data Only 2015/7/27 02:50
I believe the BIC camera stores offer contracted pocket wifi devices at relatively reasonable rates and well as mobile SIM with data-only plans.

Wifi in Japan is in general rather pricey and hard to come by outside..
by Windshadow rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa Extended Stay - Need Data Only 2015/7/27 11:41
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa Extended Stay - Need Data Only 2015/8/1 20:58
I have T-mobile, but have not been able to use my phone here. I got here two weeks ago and have tried texting, but with no luck. Since you will be here a year, maybe you can buy a plan and phone here. I was told by people that live here that I could not buy a SIM card for my phone. The Japanese restrict what phone plans you can get and charge a lot. I hope you can find something that works for you!
by Sandy Powell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa Extended Stay - Need Data Only 2015/8/4 17:20
I was told by people that live here that I could not buy a SIM card for my phone.

Basically you need to be a resident to get a contract voice line, and some companies won't sell you a subsidized phone unless your visa residency duration exceeds the contract term.

Otherwise, there you can get a prepaid or get really a expensive rental sim.

Prepaid data-only sims are available to anyone, although contract ones may have the same limitations as contract voice lines.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread