Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to buy a kimono 2015/7/26 19:10
hello I wanted to know where to buy a kimono ( in Tokyo , Kyoto and Osaka ) and that price may have.
I have read that one should yukata ( kimono as a good can cost thousands of euro .
you can advise me ?
thank you
by Obiwan1978  

Re: where to buy a kimono 2015/7/27 12:53
Yukata are cotton or synthetic fiber summer kimono, easily wearable, washable (usually), and not too expensive. You can get new or used, and they can be sold in sets which make it easy to buy. They're anywhere from 3000 yen for a new set, up to 50000 yen for a really nice shibori style. Because there is a range, it is easy to find one you like and can afford!

Kimono are a bit more difficult, as there is a huge range and many different styles. In many kimono stores, you can get a synthetic fiber komon (a casual, everyday kimono) set for maybe 10000 yen and up. Once you go into silk or the more formal styles (such as furisode, the ones with the long sleeves), they can go up in price quickly, from 100000 yen to 1000000 or even more, new!

Luckily, there are many used stores that sell those really nice silk kimono of various styles for much cheaper than new ones cost. Kyoto is a great place to buy used kimono, as there are many markets to choose from. A quick google search will help you find some places.

Toyko also has some shops. I actually like the shops along Ameyoko in Ueno for used kimono, or if you can get to a Hard Off/Off House (a Book Off brand used store), they often have a very good selection of kimono.

Remember that wearing kimono takes a lot of pieces. If you're wanting to wear the kimono properly, and not just display it or wear it around the house, you'll need to do some research on the items necessary. The more formal the kimono, the more items needed, so it might depend on your kimono you end up buying. Because of that, budget in some extra money to pay for the accessories. Ask the people at the shop for help in getting everything.

Since wearing kimono is so difficult, most people stick with yukata.

Good luck!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: where to buy a kimono 2015/7/27 17:40
Kimono is sold at Kimono stores. Kimono tends to be very expensive to buy. There are some second-hand kimono stores as well.
Both KImono and Yukata are difficult to wear on your own. You must learn how to wear kimono by attending kimono class first before you buy it.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: where to buy a kimono 2015/7/28 07:02
I had read that there are many accessories and to be worn in a certain way (for example with connections to the contrary is usually be used for the dead). Now I will start a search. we are also looking to do a photo shoot around Kyoto hoping to find one affordable.
many thanks for the answers
by Obiwan1978 rate this post as useful

Re: where to buy a kimono 2015/7/28 12:25
Just remember, LEFT over RIGHT and you'll be ok!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread