Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Oatmeal in Tokyo 2015/8/8 01:26
Hello,

I've been to Japan a few times in the past, but at those times I was not in the habit of eating oatmeal for breakfast so I didn't really notice if it was available or not. However, lately I find that eating some oatmeal and an apple in the morning helps out a lot with my health. Next year I plan to go to Japan again, and will be staying in Tokyo the whole time with various day trips. Will it be possible for me to find some oatmeal? The brand isn't important to me (and if the price is higher than it would be out here that's fine too), just something that I can make with limited time in the morning. Does anybody in Tokyo know of any specific grocery stores that would carry it? I will be staying in an area that's fairly near to Akihabara, Asaukusa, Ueno etc by train.

Thank you!
by Kirjava444 (guest)  

Re: Oatmeal in Tokyo 2015/8/8 08:28
I didn't really look in Tokyo, but I never found any in Kyoto markets - maybe I went to the wrong ones. Since I was staying in accommodations with cooking facilities, I brought my own package.....good luck!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Oatmeal in Tokyo 2015/8/8 09:20
Will it be possible for me to find some oatmeal?

Yes, it's not ubiquitous but many grocery store carry oatmeal. And foreign food stores will almost definitely have it.

On the other hand, if you are a traveler then I would consider just bringing instant oatmeal packets from home. That would be much easier to prepare when staying in hotels, and you wouldn't need to bring a lot to cover your trip.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Oatmeal in Tokyo 2015/8/8 12:55
I hadn't thought of the possibility of bringing my own, but I guess it is something that would be allowed in my checked luggage. That's probably the best (and cheapest) route then. Thanks to both of you for your responses!
by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oatmeal in Tokyo 2015/8/8 13:08
Available in regular supermarkets. But if you are used to instant oats, for example, you know the ones in small packets? I have not seen those in Japan. I've seen the Quaker Oats boxes in regular supermarkets, of course at import food stores too in Tokyo.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread