Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Insurance 2015/8/10 23:39
My Japanese friend is coming in italy very soon for 5 months for study at university.
She need to do insurance but her university said that she need to do by herself
What is a cheap and good insurance and what it cover?
Thank you!
by kaze982  

Re: Insurance 2015/8/11 09:30
Many insurance companies provide traveller's insurance "travel abroad insurance" which she can get in Japan. And often sold through travel agencies.

They typically cover accident, illness, any theft of personal belongings, liability, etc.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Insurance 2015/8/11 11:23
But what could be a good one?
She buy ticket by herself in internet.. not with agency..
We saw something.. but very expensive..
Thanks
by kaze982 rate this post as useful

Re: Insurance 2015/8/11 12:40
Five months is a long time, so some expense for insurance cannot be helped.

She is Japanese, correct? Tell her to search the internet with: 海外旅行保険 留学 (The two key words in Japanese: overseas travel insurance, study abroad) They have comparison sites as well.

Re: Insurance 2015/8/11 13:42
But what could be a good one?

Depends on your needs and budget. Typical travel insurance covers your transport, hotels and medical, but you can also cover your belongings and other add ons at extra expense.

She buy ticket by herself in internet.. not with agency..

You can usually add inexpensive travel insurance when buying your ticket. If it's too late for that then there are lots of them on the internet. Here's one that's recommended by a lot of travel websites. You can find cheaper though if you search around.

We saw something.. but very expensive..

From my experience, I would expect 5 months travel insurance to cost around 50,000-70,000 for something really basic.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Insurance 2015/8/16 12:48
So expensive?
She already wrote 海外旅行保険 留学...
It is five months.. so really long.. sadly university doesnt cover anything..
Plabe companies offer cheap insurance for so long time?
by kaze982 rate this post as useful

Re: Insurance 2015/8/16 14:34
Yes, I see insurance premiums in that range, 50,000 - 70,000 for real basic insurance policy. But it IS for a long time (5 months), and it is always better to have some insurance coverage - what is she going to do if she becomes ill and cannot pay for the treatment?

Re: Insurance 2015/8/17 10:35
Sorry, it looks like my link didn't show up, Here it is again:

https://www.worldnomads.com/

Re: Insurance 2015/8/17 10:45
By the way 50,000 yen is a pretty good price for reasonable coverage with a reputable insurer. You can find marginally cheaper around the internet, but you'll eventually reach a point where the insurance is virtually useless as the coverage gets reduced while the deductibles balloon, not to mention the reliability of the insurer themselves.

reply to this thread