Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 09:58
Can anybody recommend a good (and light) walking shoe brand/type that is appropriate for exploring Tokyo in winter? Where can we buy and approx how much? Thank you!

Cheers!
by Jade (guest)  

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 11:43
I personally swear by Clark's for walking and hiking. I have two pairs reserved just for Japan!

One pair is a slip on style and is good for walking, the other is a pair of hiking boots that I have used to hike in the snow of Nagano.

I have a hard time finding comfortable walking shoes and Clark's are the only ones that work for me. They are lightweight and won't break the bank.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 11:43
I don't know where you're located, but I bought cute snow boots at ABC Mart here in Japan, and use them pretty exclusively in winter for travel. My feet get cold easily, so even when there's no snow they're really good and comfortable. Plus, the style I got doesn't look like snow boots necessarily, so they go well with different outfits.

They were having a sale, so they were around 5000 yen I think.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 11:46
Jade,

Responded before I realized that you are in Japan, in which case, I would take scarredragon's advice as I do not know if Clark's are available in Japan.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 12:57
I do a lot of sightseeing / walking on my trips.

My running shoes started falling apart 3 days into a trip a couple of yr ago, so I ended up buying some rather expensive Nike Air Max's (with big air pockets in he heels) in Kyoto.

I thought my previous (somewhat expensive) runners were good until my feet no longer hurt at the end of the day in the Nikes. Best purchase ever.

by Maxius rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 12:58
Thanks for the swift reply!

No worries @Ohara, thank you for sharing.

@scarreddragon: that sounds great! we are hoping to stay in Shinjuko by Feb. and just buy winter clothes upon getting there (coming from a tropical country and not available here) Is there any ABC Mart within the area or at Narita airport? Can you send a link or photo of how they look like? Cheers!
by Jade (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/12 20:34
There's an ABC Mart in Shinjuku as well as a number of other places.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/ABC+Mart+Shinjukunishiguchi/@35.66...

They're pretty obvious. I can't find a picture of the exact pair I bought, but they change the designs every year anyway.

One quick thing to note is that February might be a bit late to buy heavy winter gear. Many stores have their spring stuff out by then. Uniqlo will help there, they should still have heat-tech and good down jackets available.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/13 10:09
Thank you for the help @scarreddragon and @Maxius
Cheers!
by Jade (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking Shoes 2015/8/13 12:11
I love my Clarks too, they are really comfy. I brought several pairs of shoes on our trip to Japan and the only pair I used were my Clarks, it's like walking on air.
There even is a Clark shop in Shibuya http://www.clarks.co.jp
Good luck finding comfy shoes and happy trails :-)
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

reply to this thread