Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/20 12:54
Hi there!

I've slept in lovely thick down comforters during winter trips to Japan before. Does anyone know where I can buy these at local prices and how much a good quality one would cost? I just want to buy the comforter, not the futon bed layer.

I will be going to Sapporo and Kushiro in December - are they likely to be cheaper/warmer there than elsewhere in Japan?

I can speak a smattering of Japanese and am willing to go outside of tourist centres to buy it!

Thanks in advance!
by meals  

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/23 12:52
Rakuten Global Market sell these online. You may be able to get one delivered to you if you order it, when you are in Japan. You can check the costs, now if you go to their website. Otherwise department stores have bedding and homeware sections usually on level 6 or 7. They will deliver them to your hotel or apartment.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/23 15:04
Ikea has the best deals by far, and they also come in larger sizes than is typical for Japanese-made comforters.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/24 00:32
The problem with ikea's downs, they are not a international size standard, you have to use their own down and and down cover.

Best to get them elsewhere.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/27 08:57
Thank you all for your responses! I will check Rakuten Global for pricing and I'll also have a look around when I'm in Japan.

Thanks!
by meals rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/27 12:30
The problem with ikea's downs, they are not a international size standard, you have to use their own down and and down cover.

Well since Ikea's comforter covers are also around 80% cheaper than what you're find in department stores here, I don't see how that's a disadvantage.

Although I also don't see why you couldn't stuff an Ikea down comforter inside a smaller Japanese-market comforter cover - they're pretty flexible.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/27 14:21
The problem with ikea's downs, they are not a international size standard.

But they are. IKEA bedding is basically European sizing, except for their single comforter size which follows the US twin sizing. But since the OP is Australian, it may be a non-issue since the Japan sizes don't generally match up to the Australian sizes anyway (except the queen size). No worries though, as Umami said, you don't need the duvet to fit perfectly. Mine are like that and a 10 cm difference over a 200 cm width is not even noticeable.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/8/27 14:21
btw, you can check bedding sizes here so you know what to look for before you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding#Bedding_sizes
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/9/1 13:52
Thanks all for responses. We have Ikea here in Melbourne but I just remember the ones I've used in Japan being super thick and warm, in a totally different class to stuff I've seen in Oz.

I've had a look online on the Bic Camera website and it seems that they are quite expensive too!
by meals rate this post as useful

Re: How much and where to buy down comforter? 2015/9/2 01:18
You could also check out one of the Don Quijote stores. We went into a large Don Quijote store in Tokyo and they had a lot of bedding stuff. Didn't look for comforters so I can't say for sure they sell them but it is worth a shot.
I'm enjoying my Ikea comforter though, a cool one for the summer and a thick and warm one for the cold sub zero winternights. Can't beat their price ;-)
Good luck with your search!
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

reply to this thread