Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/25 05:38
After getting a taste of real wasabi on my trip to Japan a few years ago, the horseredish/mustard variant just isn't good enough any more. I would love to try and cultivate a few plants here in Belgium, but I can't find seeds anywhere. Can anyone refer me to a vendor or where I might be able to buy seeds on my next visit (am I allowed to export them)?
by Nell21  

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/25 11:58
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/26 06:08
You need to research the method of growing. Wasabi requires running water. They grow in habitats like streams, even when cultivated.
This may be hard to reproduce without a lot of land and cash
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/26 15:54
See here for growing it in a gravel bed and some information on the different types (daruma, mazuma, etc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xG6tUnMcEc
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/27 05:14
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, however, the wasabi company sells plants, not seeds. I have researched it a bit and realize it will be a challenge, but I don't plan on doing this large scale and it's also the reason why I want seeds so I have more than one chance to get it right as opposed to one plant.
by Nell21 rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/28 01:50
There's a company in England that does it commercially.
I have no idea as to their name, or whether they have a website, but they may be of help perhaps?

Good luck
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/28 02:03
To grow wasabi requires the constant 12 degree running water. No fertilizer needed. The best quality is determined by how the bumps line up in spiral. The bumps are formed where the new leaf stems grew. The chef mixes different part of wasabi to suit for the food serving.
The next best thing from growing your own is to buy a freeze dried pure wasabi powder can and mix with water to make the consistency of wasabi paste. The wasabi tube has mixed horse radish as the flavor of wasabi dissipates in 15 min. after grated (on a shark skin).
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/8/28 08:37
generally, young plants are more easier to grow than seeds.
if you fail to grow a young plant, it is almost no chance to grow it from seeds.
in Japan, it is popular to grow trees and flowers from young plants, not from seeds, because of the easiness.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/9/2 03:21
I have a small wasabi plant in a 12" pot. As long as it is watered daily it is fine. Or it would be if slugs and earwigs didn't enjoy it quite so much, nibbling the leaves. It doesn't need running water, it just prefers it and probably grows better as a result. Commercially, it is usually grown rather like watercress.

The Wasabi Company link has already been posted.

I bought my plant from Suttons.
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Plants/All+Vegetable+Plan...

Seeds do come up on ebay but they are not easy from seed. I'd suggest getting a small plant.

Check your national import restrictions for seed (generally OK globally) and plants (more restrictive from Japan but should be fine buying within the EU).

You might also want to try Okahijiki, an annual, easy from seed, that grows happily in a pot. It's a Japanese version of Samphire.

Go on, give them a go. :)
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/9/3 23:23
Hi,I'm Japanese high school studnnt.

I've eat wasabi many times,but I never think about wasabi seeds...

After I saw this question,I asked some of my friends that they've ever seen real wasabi seeds.
So they all said,eNo!!!!!flol

But I'm interested in real wasabi seeds.
So I google 'real wasabi seeds(‚킳‚Ñ‚ÌŽí)f

http://www.thewasabicompany.co.uk/

Hit this site!!!
Bye^ ^

by Hirotoooooh rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/9/4 06:50
Thank you all for the responses, especially David and Ken.
I will give the plants a shot then, as it seems impossible to get my hands on the seeds.
I know it's easier this way, but I get such satisfaction out of growing things from their seeds :)
Thanks again!
by Nell21 rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/11/19 19:56
I have several hundred wasabi plants in a traditional streambed plantation in the hills outside Tokyo. Sometime next year I expect to see flowers and will try to collect and store seeds.

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2015/11/27 20:13
Wasabi seeds are not impossible to get, go to www.alibaba.com and search for wasabi seeds, your find is over, just to let you know mixed in the search includes root's, powder edible wasabi coated pea and a bunch of other wasabi related stuff.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2016/1/19 11:10
Hey David,

I read on this thread that you have wasabi plants growing here in Japan. I am very interested in purchasing Wasabi for R&D and was wondering if you sell your supply commercially.

I live in Tokyo and am trying to find all sorts of suppliers at the moment.

I am mostly interested in purchasing the leaves, stems and small rhizomes if available.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Jean
by Jean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2016/1/19 12:04
There are two Davids in this thread. I'm not the one growing them in Tokyo, but as a follow up, my wasabi overwintered happily in a large pot, the pot-base filled with water, in a (very) large sealed bag in the lounge, out of direct sunlight. Not because it isn't hardy, but because the slugs love it more than life itself. I'm in two minds as to whether to risk it outside again or keep it inside. The bag maintains humidity levels and stops it drying out.

The okahijiki grows happily in pots outdoors.

Re: Where can I buy real wasabi seeds? 2016/2/3 07:30
just in case someone is still interested in seeds, here's one place where they sell them: http://www.wasabiya.net/wasabinae.htm
by 8BB76E1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread