Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will stores be open in Tokyo for Sept 21-22? 2015/8/27 21:44
Hello,

I will be in Tokyo when they have the holidays Monday September 21 to Tuesday the 22nd.

Will stores be opened on the 21st in Tokyo? Will there be festivals around (I tried looking online but couldn't find any)? I had the 21st as a shopping day but I may need to change it.

Also, I will be travel from Tokyo to Osaka on the 22nd. Should I book my train seat? Will it be supper busy?

Thanks!
by Pyreyna  

Re: Will stores be open in Tokyo for Sept 21-22? 2015/8/28 11:58
This year there are holidays September 21st-23rd, making it a 5 day weekend. We call this "Silver Week" in Japan when the dates line up like that, because with taking just 2 days off work, you can get a whole 9 days off.

Stores will not be closed, but banks, most post offices, and other government offices will. Some restaurants may or may not be closed, but it isn't something to worry about; PLENTY will be open, since it is a popular time to travel. I don't think you need to change your plans for the 21st. There may even be sales!

I would not expect the 22nd to be a LOT more busy than normal, since the next day (the 23rd) is also off; traveling on the 23rd however will probably be extremely busy! Still, I would get your train tickets ASAP as some people may be traveling home that day to beat the rush.

These holidays aren't associated with any festivals that I know of, but I'd check Timeout Tokyo to see.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread