Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking birth control in, no doctor's letter 2015/8/29 21:06
I am taking my contraceptive pill on a nine night trip on Tuesday. I know that I don't need to fill out paperwork as I am taking less than a month's supply. As far as I know the combined pill is legal in Japan so I should be able to bring it into the country for personal use.

However I recently found out it's a good idea to bring a copy of your prescription/doctor's letter for customs. I'm freaking out because I don't have time to do this before I leave. I have the pill in its original packaging and a label from my clinic's pharmacy with my name matching my passport on it. Will this suffice??
If they confiscate it I could become pregnant and I'm really worried about this eventuality!
by jen (guest)  

Re: Taking birth control in, no doctor's letter 2015/8/30 14:25
There is a good chance they won't even look at it. I took mine and no one even asked at Customs if I was bringing medication in. I'd say the label should be fine if it has your full name on it and can be matched to your passport - it proves it was prescribed to you. Birth control is a normal medication and shouldn't provoke any suspicions.

If they do confiscate it, there are other ways to stop getting pregnant...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking birth control in, no doctor's letter 2015/9/1 07:48
They will not even worry about it, you are worrying too much. You don't declare it even.. same as Blood pressure, Cholesterol' , fluid retention medications etc. Just because the Japanese medical system doesn't promote birth control meds as their first "go to" option for patients, doesn't mean they forbid them or confiscate them. They do prescribe them. My daughter is an International Flight attendant flying in and out very regularly and never has she been asked about birth control pills..... thank god!! Japan is a first world country. As the previous poster says, they have your name and dispensing pharmacy on the label. You are not taking in 1000 packs to sell illegally.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread