Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese makeup 2015/9/20 16:16
Hello guys:)

I am going to Tokyo and Osaka in October and I would like to know if there is any major makeup stores, a store which sells just makeup?

I love makeup and would like to use this opportunity to purchase new products so it would be great to hear any popular Japanese makeup brands and other beauty products as well:)

Oh, and I would like to ask your opinion on whats Japanese peoples opinion about makeup? Are they more on the natural side or do they pay more attention to someone who wears more than usual amount of makeup.

What I've heard is that they might think that western people use more makeup on daily bases compared to them?

Sorry, if i made any typing mistakes, english isn't my first language:)
by Krista (guest)  

Re: Japanese makeup 2015/9/20 19:39
I am going to Tokyo and Osaka in October and I would like to know if there is any major makeup stores, a store which sells just makeup?

A "store which sells just makeup" isn't necessarily a store that sells "a lot of makeup" goods. You should go to a relatively large drug store such as Matsumoto Kiyoshi or any of the ones in big malls. They tend to carry the biggest variety of Japanese makeup brands (along with other drug store stuff like medicine). You are free to try the ones labeled "sample".

You can also find organic brands in places like Tokyu Hands or some organic food stores such as F&F and Kodawariya.

Department stores offer free makeup service for those who need advice. Some brands are available at the airport.

If you have a specific brand in mind, someone may be able to help you find where they are sold.

it would be great to hear any popular Japanese makeup brands and other beauty products as well:)

Here's a list of best-sellers.
http://ranking.cosme.net/

I would like to ask your opinion on whats Japanese peoples opinion about makeup? Are they more on the natural side or do they pay more attention to someone who wears more than usual amount of makeup.

It greatly depends on the person. Isn't that how it is in your country?

What I've heard is that they might think that western people use more makeup on daily bases compared to them?

I've never heard of that theory. But a lot of people do feel that Westerners tend to use perfume more commonly than the average Japanese.

Hope you have fun!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese makeup 2015/9/21 06:33
Any large department stores(Isetan, Takashimaya, Daimaru, Tokyu, Hankyu, Marui etc) on the 1st floor(ground floor in English) have costmetic section there. You can ask for a sample make up there or get a sample cosmetic free. But they sell at original prices without any discount.
If you want discounted cosmetics, visit large drug stores(eg, Matsumoto-kiyoshi, sundrug, Daikoku etc), discount stores(Don Quijote or Donki) cosmetic section. There are many young girls/ladies there.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese makeup 2015/9/21 15:04
The brand Shu-uemura is an iconic Japanese brand. It was created by a Japanese make up artist in the 1920's.
You will find a counter in most upmarket department stores, and can try it. They may even have a stand alone flagship store in Ginza and Omotesando.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread