Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/4 12:29
Hi all - I am planning a business trip to Japan for the Feb/Mar 2016 timeframe. This will be my forth visit to Japan and this time I would like to hire an interpreter to help in some business meetings I'd like to schedule. Are there are places online I can find people and possibly speak with before going to Japan?

Thank you.
by bennyblanco  

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/4 14:21
I happen to be an conference interpreter - I remain anonymous on this thread otherwise I might be seen to be promoting my own services.

For that it would be best for you to contact an interpreter's agency, where many professional interpreters are registered, tell them the dates, nature of the meetings (what industry/line of business, first time introductory, or with specific proposal, etc.), length of the meeting(s), location(s), simultaneous or consecutive, along with your budget, and let them select and assign an appropriate interpreter for your needs. Of course the agency will enter into an NDA with you, and the interpreters who work for them have NDA in place with the agency. Any presentation material/background information you can forward to them ahead of the meetings will be appreciated.
by Anonymous this time (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/6 09:22
Is it possible to hire someone in a less formal manner? ie a student, etc? We are a small business and I already have a relationship with the people I am meeting. I would just like the process to be a bit smoother. I believe a true business interpreter will be very expensive.

arigato gozeimasu
by bennyblanco rate this post as useful

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/6 16:19
In my almost 30 years of interpreting experiences, I have encountered many different so called "interpreters," both trained and not trained - I do not recommend non-professional interpreters for proper business meetings.

Agencies do have interpreters of different levels/classes available, with different fees; that is why I mentioned that you should contact agencies with details including your budget expectations as well. In my view, hiring an "exhibition attendant/simple business meetings" level of interpreter (still trained pro) would be better than just looking for someone who speaks a bit of English, as that could lead to awkwardness at the meetings; also the fact that you would not want to pay for professionals might not go down well with your client. But this is just my two cents.
by Anonymous again (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/7 05:49
I was looking for the same thing too, 2 weeks ago, I am looking to find a entry level interpreters. Sadly i was unable to know where to find any website that can direct us there. I have been to Japan before doing research and checking out businesses and next year i will be returning to Japan to do some promoting or "cold call". Pretty much, i am looking to find someone who can travel with me, talk to the store owner or manager allowing us to promote our business.

i remember in the past Japan-Guide has a section for it but it no longer there. Is there any website for freelancer for higher in Japan or classifieds?
by Anonymous01001 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/7 18:00
If the hotel you stay at in Japan has "business center," they usually have some contact to interpreter's agencies. The hotel staff can contact them and see if they have anyone available on the dates you need an interpreter, at the rates you are willing to pay.

Interpreters' agencies do have entry level interpreters on their list, what they might call "general interpreters" - those might include some who do "attend & interpreting" (not full conference all the time, but accompanying people on their visits and doing short interpreting consecutively), or "exhibition interpreting" (imagine a trade show/exhibition where a whole lot of exhibitors set up their booths, let's say in Japan; those interpreters will stand by the Japanese exhibitor, and help them talk to the English-speaking visitors who come by, or vice versa). Their rates are not that high.

Be sure to contact agencies well in advance of your trip if you can.
by Anonymous this time (again) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Business interpreters in Japan 2015/10/8 04:17
Thank you for the replies. I emailed an agency in Tokyo and was quoted Y75,000 for 5 hours of work.

I cannot afford that type of rate.. is this standard pricing ??
by bennyblanco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread