Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/12 01:56
Hi,
I will be visiting Japan from 16th to 23 rd of October 15
I plan to visit important temples & shrines in Kyoto and Tokyo.
Do i need to remove my shoes in shrines. If so what I should wear instead of shoes when it will be cold

by Spartans  

Re: do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/12 08:52
When visiting Shinto shrines, you do not typically enter any buildings. Hence, there is no need to take off shoes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/12 08:56
Uji's right, very rarely will you enter a building in a shrine or temple where you need to take off your shoes. However, though rare, it can happen. Your should wear socks with your shoes; you keep the socks on inside the building. Make sure your socks are clean and free of holes.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/12 10:13
Just to add, if you have problems with cold feet while inside a room, you can do what I do which is to wear double layers of socks and putting in a disposable warmer (like Kutsushita-Hokaron) between the layers. Typically, indoors are warmer than outdoors, though.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/12 11:31
As mentioned above - you don't normally enter a shrine.

However - you can enter many temples which normally requires you to take off your shoes. When you are going to a lot of temples in one day - my biggest suggestion is to where shoes which slip on and off easily.

Also as mentioned above - if it's cold then I suggest you wear thick socks as walking on cold wooden floors is what is sounds like - cold.

Another hint when in temples is to ask if you can take photos. Often - you are allowed to take photos on the outside of temples but not on the inside. If unsure - ask out of politeness.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: do i need to remove my shoes in shrines 2015/10/16 04:17
If you're asking about Itsukushima Shrine, then the answer is no. The areas you can walk are prone to flooding, so the wood is treated in a way to protect it against the sea water. The actual inner sanctum, for lack of other terminology, where the spirits rest is off limits to everyone except the priests, so you wouldn't be allowed in there.

In Ryoan-ji in Kyoto, you must remove your shoes and store them on the shelves in order to view the kare-sansui zen garden. But Ryoan-ji is a temple, not a shrine, so I don't know if you're including them both in your question.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread