Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

pocket wi-fi 2015/10/18 11:13
Hi,
I am traveling to Japan next month ( Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Myiajima, Nara, Kyoto), and I am considering rentinga a pocket wi-fi for me and my wife.
I dont have any idea about where to start my search.
What would you recommend?
Thank you.
by Burajirujin (guest)  

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/19 07:36
Complementing the question, searching on google, I have find this company:

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Do you know them? Are they reliable?
by Burajirujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/19 08:40
I used ToCoo last year; they were the cheapest company I could find and I never had any issues with it. I rented it for 30 days (the maximum). They don't charge you any extra rent between 9 and 30 days (i.e., after day 9 it's "free").
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/19 19:42
I have used GAC for the last five visits to Japan and they are excellent!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/20 01:31
I used Pupuru
http://www.pupuru.com/en/service/emobile/

Pretty good, pick up at airport and drop off at any post. Just make sure the Pocket Wifi is OFF when you drop off at any post or they might charge extra day.

Hope this helps!!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/20 13:17
@Koohii2wii

Stupid question but for the Japan post mailbox, which slot do you slip the package in to return the pocket wifi? I assume it's domestic, which is the left side?
by JustSomeGuy10 rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/21 00:09
Stupid question but for the Japan post mailbox, which slot do you slip the package in to return the pocket wifi? I assume it's domestic, which is the left side?

I only saw one box slot near a conbini store with the Japan Post Symbol. I assumed everything is sorted at the Post when it gets there? Lol I had no issues nor phone calls or emails about it so it should be fine.

Hope this helps!!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/25 01:09
Is it easy to pick up at airport?
Or better choosing to delivery to Hotel?
by Burajirujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/25 03:28
I have mentioned it before but there is another way to get internet connection.
All modern smartphones have a function to make the smartphone a pocket wifi. It goes by different names like tethering or data access.
To make this work you only need a SIM and of course a smartphone that works in Japan.
The two main advantages of this approach is that most of the time you do not need to return the pocket wifi at the end of the rental period (in most/all cases you do not need to return the SIM ).
The other advantage is that it is cheaper.
Last year i used a prepaid sim without problems from https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/
On this site you can also find a list of phones that are compatible with this rental-SIM in Japan. I had 2 smartphones (one Android 2.3 and the other 3.x) that were not listed as being compatible but they both worked fine. There are also other sites on the internet were you can find whether your phone is compatible with the Japanese system.

Have a nice trip.

B. Slager
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/26 07:30
Picking up at the airport will only be an option if your flight arrives when the post office is open - check the times. I found it easier as I didn't have to notify my hotel that there would be a package arriving for me.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/27 03:57
Hi,
The rental-SIM was sent by econnectjapan to the hotel and arrived one or two days before i arrived. I did not inform the hotel about the arrival of the SIM. As the hotel mixed up my last name and first name they did no find a reservation of me. They however did for example not return the envelop to the sender. When i arrived the hotel realized that a mistake was made and everything was OK.
In hindsight maybe it is better to inform the hotel.

But all together i prefer the system of just using a SIM than rather renting a box that you have to pick up and return at the airport.
B. Slager
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/10/30 02:41
Get the pocket Wi-Fi. You will NOT regret it.

I went to Japan in May 2016 for 2 weeks. It was $100, you keep it in your backpack, the battery lasts FOREVER, it's light, fast internet, and very convenient to give to the postal office at the end of your trip (they provide the parcel).

It will connect to ANY device, no switching SIM cards and messing around, also, you can share it with your friends if you go to an Izakaya, or on the train... It works great when traveling using the Shinkansen too.

Trust me. Worth the money!!!
by Ryan1337 rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/11/2 04:13
If you are staying in an apartment, be aware that you may not have access to the letterbox (these are often locked boxes). Many apartments come with a free pocket WiFi - check for this when choosing where you want to stay. It is a real benefit, saving you money and hassle.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: pocket wi-fi 2015/11/3 23:36
has anyone ordered a pocket wifi through rakuten? found this store called mobile gate which seems rather popular (it's the cheapest pocket wifi i have found so far)
http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/mobile-gate/

unfortunately the site is all in japanese and i'm having trouble figuring it all out, even with google translate!
by abbles rate this post as useful

reply to this thread