Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/10/24 18:36
Hello ŠF‚³‚ñ,

I would like to know if there're some people (girls especially) who could help me to understand how to go to the hair-dresser in Tokyo!?
I've seen some around my place but I don't really understand if you must have an appointment (I'm sure that's better) or you can come and wait for your turn? (I already know the HotPepper website, but not sure the appointment on line is working) And their "menu" is a little complicated...
I've seen some who're not really sure about ŠOl hair so I prefer knowing the experience of people in hair-dresser in Japan...
My Japanese is quite good, a friend helped me with phrases but I've been very disapointed with hair-dresser in my hometown ... I prefer being sure

Thanks for reading
by Lydioune  

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/10/24 23:06
Toni & Guy always has someone who can speak English, and it makes things so much less stressful. Call and make an appointment, then go in and tell them what you want. It's well worth the extra few thousand yen.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/10/25 12:02
Finding the right hair-dresser is very tricky in any country even if you don't have a language barrier, and I feel that I've never met anyone perfect. That said, this is just to answer your questions.

You can show up and wait at almost any neighborhood hair saloon, while of course you have the option to make reservations in advance.

If a hair cut is all you need, just ask for "katto dake." They will give you a quick shampoo, but that's often different from the proper "shampoo" on the menu which can be more thorough. Finally they will blow and style your hair, because you can't let a customer go out soaky wet, so even if you just ask for a cut it's basically "cut, blow and quick shampoo" to be precise.

Many stylists will ask if it's okay to give you a massage in the end, and as far as I know that's free of charge. They only ask, because some people do not like having massages given.

Each saloon has different preferences, so observe them to see if the customers coming out fit your taste. In Tokyo, you will often see foreign customers too. And then, each stylist has different preferences and skills and personalities, and that's hard to tell unless you actually try them. I guess that's why saloons like Toni&Guy provide profiles of some of the stylists.

Once you find a stylist you like, you should make reservations next time for that specific person. It's common to phone the saloon directly to make the reservation. Or if it's not a crowded neighborhood saloon, you can go directly and ask if you can come back at a certain time to get your hair done.

If you have any specific questions on "complicated" menus, feel free to post again.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/11/6 03:36
Check out assort hair near Gaienmae station. They are quite pricey but I am always very satisfied :)
by Hairdresser (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/11/15 20:15
is about 5k yen for hair color already cheap?

do you think they will usually give the haircut or trim for free if you avail the hair color service?

thanks
by tokyogirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/11/19 15:47
Sin Den. It isn't cheap (but what is?), but they are good. I had some colouring done there, and know a woman who gets her blondeness maintained there as well. Great head massage,
Enjoy
by priti12 rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/11/20 00:41
In addition to being overpriced, Sin Den does terrible haircuts. You'll look like you got your hair cut in Australia.

Your advice to "Enjoy" is condescending.

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/12/1 08:08
Umami-Dearest, wth is wrong with you? I'm sure glad I don't know you in real life... I understand English is not your first language, but with your level, there's no excuse for your rudeness to people on this forum! No need to be so blunt and disrespectful all the time!
by Lizzy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hair-dresser in Tokyo 2015/12/1 20:46
Not meant to be rude, just to warn the OP of my own experience. I've gotten my hair cut at Sin Den, and I've gotten it cut in Australia, and I've regretted both experiences. Sin Den was also overpriced.

I've recommended a haircutter in Tokyo that I like, and shared my experience with one I didn't like. What have you done other than complain?

reply to this thread