Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Diabetic eating in Tokyo restaurants 2015/11/15 09:10
We'll be eating almost all of our meals in restaurants for a week and I wanted to know if it was common to inquire about ingredients in meals in restaurants? We need to count carbs to regulate insulin injections.
by Rachel H (guest)  

Re: Diabetic eating in Tokyo restaurants 2015/11/15 12:46
Do you speak Japanese? It's certainly extremely rare to inquire about ingredients in English, outside of an international hotel, and it's pretty rare even in Japanese.

Once you get your food it should be easy enough to tell what's what though, and you can just avoid or minimize the high-glycemic-index things like white rice, ramen noodles, etc.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Diabetic eating in Tokyo restaurants 2015/11/15 14:28
Thank you for the info!
I'll look up the carb count for common ingredients before we travel and keep a close eye on portion sizes.
by Rachel H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Diabetic eating in Tokyo restaurants 2015/11/17 03:55
I found this online and hope it will help with your choices.

https://runningwithoutsugar.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/diabetic-eating-i...

I am (type 2) diabetic, diagnosed several years after my last (3rd) trip to Japan and was very curious about what I might be able to eat should I travel there again. I do not use insulin but manage diet and portions and walk a lot to burn carbs.
I actually lost weight on all 3 trips (5-10lbs) due to smaller portions served in Japan and all the walking I did daily sightseeing which must have been good for my not as yet diagnosed diabetes. I did not limit myself to restaurants to eat. I also used the department store basement food floors and convenience stores like Lawson that had fresh foods and salads (like seaweed salad) in their refrigerated cases for snacks and lunches and sometimes breakfast.

You might also use the search feature on this site to see if the topic has come up before for more ideas.
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Diabetic eating in Tokyo restaurants 2015/11/17 12:59
That is a fantastic website, thank you so much! We do not speak Japanese but we will practice those phrases on the airplane :)
by Rachel H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread