Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 06:39
I need to know the DEEP meaning of いただきます (itadakimasu) in Japanese culture... Does it really include a wide concept of respect forma animals, farmers, cooks and so on? Thank you in advance
by Gigi (guest)  

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 10:49
Your understanding is collect.
However we aren't think so deeply, we use it just like "Bon Appetit"
by Riri Nakae rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 11:17
You know well.
A teacher in my childhood asked us, "Who made this meal?".
Children answered, "Aunt of school lucn made".

"Who made the material of meal?"
"Farmer made"

"Who carried them?"
"Uncle of a delivery did"

"What are made of meal?"
"Vegetable, meat, egg etc. etc."

"What are they?"
"?????"
"They were living things. You eat the same life as us."
"?????"

"Please remember what you are eating"

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 18:43
Thank you and I'm sorry for the mistake "forma instead of for" due to automatic corrector. I'm kindly waiting for further answers... it's for a tattoo...
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 19:45
will the tattoo include a bowl of rice and chopsticks?
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 21:18
No, just いただきます and I want to avoid such a "ridiculous" effect of mere "bon appetit" on people who deeply understands the meaning of the word. I read that it implies a sense of "I humbly receive", according to the Japanese tradition, culture and original religion; and that's the kind of message I intend to write: I respect all lives I must eat, and all people of the chain that brings food to me. I didn't fine such a deep concept packed in one word in any other language, and I hope to be right in my understanding... Please continue with your opinions, I'll read!

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/8 22:50
I don't think this conveys what you are intending. Or worse, depending on where it is tattooed, it could be read to have a sexual meaning.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/9 01:24
If a Japanese saw a person with a tattoo saying "いただきます", he would think, "oh someone should have stopped him from doing that..."
by amenoshita rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/9 01:57
So, could you suggest me an alternative word (or an alternative tense of the verb, etc.) in order to make clear the meaning that I intend, with no "ridiculous" ambiguities? Even from different cultures if you know... Thank you for any kind of useful answer!

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/9 02:07
How about "奉謝"?
奉 means dedication, 謝 means thank.
It is not daily/casual words and is used for ceremony's name and so on.

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/9 02:46
I see that they are ideograms, commons with Chinese culture too, of course... Where I live I can talk to people from China that I know and listen to what they say about it. Thank you and I'm currently open to interesting ideas...

Better idea? 2015/12/9 08:00
Thinking about this... very similar to your idea
http://www.chinese-word.com/data/5658-5.html
Are the 2 symbols in the right order?

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/9 12:41
奉謝 and いただきます is completely different. And there are no ideograms for いただきます.
いただきます is used from viewpoint of receivers, like a person who is about to eat something. 奉謝 is from givers like people who are about to dedicate something to a shrine.
いただきます is also used by small kids, 奉謝 is extremely formal.

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/10 08:56
I hope you know that many Japanese people do not have good image for tatoo.
It is because Yakuza men have it as they think it as symbol of strength.

As "Itadakimasu" is very important custom for Japanese,
I wonder it is good way to express your mind to Japanese.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/10 11:00
No, just いただきます and I want to avoid such a "ridiculous" effect of mere "bon appetit" on people who deeply understands the meaning of the word.

I think it would be impossible to separate the two, as they are essentially intertwined in both the meaning and use of the phrase.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/10 17:10
will the tattoo include a bowl of rice and chopsticks?
and that's why above post exist..
to normal people, japanese people when they see your itadakimasu tattoo, they will just laugh at it..
please avoid any writing.
chinese kanji and japanese kanji can sometimes have the opposite meaning, and they don't complement each other.
again please avoid writing tattoo, especially thing that you don't even understand what it mean..
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/10 22:17
As a Japanese, I would find a tattoo that goes "itadakimasu" amusing at least, funny, no matter how you look at it. Please keep in mind that it is a phrase we say when we face food that we are about to eat (and appreciate, of course). So when I face a tattoo of that phrase? Am I the food? Sorry but you cannot escape the comical interpretation.

I sort of see what kind of sentiments what you are trying to put into your tattoo, but then you could go for something completely different, like 謙虚 humbleness, and the like.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Gochisousama 2015/12/19 05:42
I've gone on with my studies about these concepts and I've read something about deep meanings. ごちそうさま seems a better solution to me. Only I doubt if it too keeps a "ridiculous and freak" meaning as a tattoo... I intend to communicate gratitude and satisfation in a respectful way to nature (animals, plants...) and workers, and maybe the "banal" meaning of mere gentle word is acceptable as it is said AFTER meal... You people of Japanese culture, what would you think a out such a tattoo? The same already expressed? No problems for me about "criminal" potential interpretation. A deep THANK YOU for your sincere and interesting answers I'm going to read!

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/19 06:52
Your latest one is what you say after "itadakimasu" and complete your meal and goes something like this, "that was a delicious meal!". It will have the same response as your first choice. I would definitely look into finding a word in your own language and forget about getting a tattoo in kanji or any other language you're not 100% familiar with. It just makes you look, for lack of a better word, like a fool.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/19 07:01
If I saw someone with a ごちそうさま tattoo, I would not only laugh out loud, I would take a picture and post it on the internets so others can laugh too.

Sorry but that's my honest opinion.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread