Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Docomo smartphone 2015/12/21 21:22
Hello team,
I have been in Japan for over a year. An AU subscriber. I want to buy a new galaxy note edge (docomo) from amazon. Will docomo unlock it for me?
Kindly respond of you have this information.
Thank you in advance.
by Mwitio  

Re: Docomo smartphone 2015/12/22 01:33
What do you think would be the point of selling Docomo phones at a reduced price if anybody could buy them and get them unlocked right away?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo smartphone 2015/12/22 09:31
About two years , I bought 2 docomo phone of the net and have it unlock at docomo shop with no problem.
I need to provide ID, thus my alien card and pay 3,150 unlock fee for each phone. No question ask. All done in 10 mins. This was done at Yokohama shop.

Not sure about nowadays since the new unlock regulations started earlier this year.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo smartphone 2015/12/22 15:24
I have been in Japan for over a year. An AU subscriber. I want to buy a new galaxy note edge (docomo) from amazon. Will docomo unlock it for me?

Yes, docomo will unlock it for you. The procedure is pretty simple and described here:

https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/

However, note that it may not be 100 percent compatible with au service despite being unlocked.

What do you think would be the point of selling Docomo phones at a reduced price if anybody could buy them and get them unlocked right away?

The Galaxy Note Edge is last winter's model that docomo seems to have discontinued. If it were a current model you could expect the amazon price to be more inline with what docomo charges. Still, there's really no loss to docomo as they are still making 3000 yen off of you when you unlock the phone.

Either way, docomo doesn't really care where you get your phone, as they often either break even or lose money on the handsets anyway. The real profits come from selling you services instead, so you might argue that they lose a potential 2 year contract, but that is considered outdated thinking especially with the new unlock rules.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread