Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2015/12/29 04:56
As far as I know it is possible to rent a SIM card or to buy a prepaid SIM in Japan, but the smart phone this SIM card is inserted must have a giteki mark (‹Z“Kƒ}[ƒN).

I am living in an EU country and I consider purchasing an iPhone in the country I live in. Do iPhones currently available (i.e. 6, 6s, 5, 5s) have a giteki mark even if they are purchased outside Japan?
by okinawadolphin  

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2015/12/30 00:24
This is only true in the most theoretical sense: in Japan, it is in principle illegal to operate a device without this mark, but this is basically unenforceable, for obvious reasons.

That said, you don't need to worry about it because all iPhones bear this mark, even though it is not printed on the case. You can see it in the "regulatory information" page in the settings.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2015/12/30 19:02
@Firas,

I got an Iphone 5S from Germany, and there is no such sign in the "regulatory" page.

@OP

I wouldn't really care about such thing while visiting Japan or using a Japanese SIM card, as long it's an unlocked Iphone you can use any mSIM card you want.

And nobody care what your Iphone has as regulation as long you keep it to yourself, if you may want to sell it in Japan that's an other case.
And even then I think you have nothing to worry.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2015/12/30 21:17
Most of the times, the big 3 telco, AU Softbank Docomo will insist on giteki mark (‹Z“Kƒ}[ƒN) if you plan to signup with their service using your phone. It is a marketing ploy, trying to get you to use their phone. Their employee will almost certain tell you that without giteki mark (‹Z“Kƒ}[ƒN), your phone will not work, cannot be use, no guarantee it will work. And they will also charge you exorbitant fees to signup for their services.

In case of MVNO, it do not care much, just that they have a clause that your phone without giteki mark (‹Z“Kƒ}[ƒN), they cannot guarantee functionality.

It's basically just like the CE mark, giteki mark (‹Z“Kƒ}[ƒN) is standard mark for all electrical appliances that is either made in japan or imported into Japan, for sale in Japan.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2015/12/31 00:08
@Uriziel Your phone is a carrier-branded one, right? I have little experience with those, but they are known to be often crippled-down in many ways.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2016/1/1 20:31
@Firas, I don't know what you mean ?

I can just say I was multiple times (4) in Japan and always with a German phone.
I had never a problem to use any Japanese sim card.

SIM cards work exactly the same everywhere on this world, they are under a norm that everyone has to apply, and from what I read here the "giteki mark" is simply a norm like the CE here in Europe which means a device is conform with local electronic norms.

To put it really simple the CE norm in Europe means that a device don't jam any other device, (we are developing devices which have to be under this norm, that's why I know)

But this should have none impact on how a SIM card work.

The only thing you need to use a Japanese or any other SIM is an unlocked phone.But if I might be wrong feel free to correct me.

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2016/1/1 23:03
Smart phones and SIM cards sold in EU certainly work in the same way as Japanese ones.

I have asked this question because SoftBank requires a traveler's smart phone to have giteki mark, otherwise they will not rent out a SIM card to this traveler. I do not know about other Japanese phone companies that rent out or sell SIM cards to non residents.

If iPhone 5s does not have a giteki mark, I am going to choose another iPhone.
by okinawadolphin rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2016/1/2 00:04
I don't know about SoftBank I use bmobile while visiting Japan,

they depose your SIM at the airport post office.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2016/1/2 13:07
Major 3 telcos Softbank Au Docomo have problem signing you up if your phone do not have Giteki mark.
Apparently by law, using electrical device without giteki mark is 'illegal' in Japan.
So by the book, those 3 telcos would not do bussiness with you without giteki mark.

more on giteki mark regulation below:-
http://goo.gl/c8Avem
http://goo.gl/h1Egp0

HOWEVER, using overseas phones without giteki mark is possible with MVNO operators, since most buying and registration and done online.
At the 3 telcos, you will have to go to their shop, and they do scrutinize your phone for the giteki mark.

So best bet, sign up with MVNO, less hassle much cheaper though speed can be sometimes unstable.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do iPhones sold in EU have Giteki mark? 2016/1/2 21:36
It seems to be necessary to show up at a shop that sells i phones and check giteki mark by myself. Actually I have already done so.
by okinawadolphin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread