Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/11 00:58
Hi guys and girls, me and my fiancée are looking to get married in Japan during the summer whilst we are traveling. I've searched and searched and got all the information about procedures and documents needed. There's a lot about hotels and companies (such as Kyoto weddings) offering services for weddings however, we want a super small ceremony, as in just us! There won't be any guests or family etc! So all we require is a nice private ceremony somewhere private and not full of people. Is there anywhere that offers such a thing?? Please help!
Thanks
by David Moody (guest)  

Re: Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/11 10:30
Are you talking about holding a ceremony (then possibly with a priest or a marriage superintendent?), or doing the legal procedure?

And if it is about doing the legal procedure, does either of you live in Japan?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/11 13:43
Will you need a legal witness?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/11 16:58
Information on wedding for just the two of you is abundant. Can you narrow it down?
https://www.google.co.jp/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=%e4%ba%8c%e4...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/13 10:53
So all we require is a nice private ceremony somewhere private and not full of people. Is there anywhere that offers such a thing?

Yes, if you are looking for a shrine or temple wedding then it is possible to do a small private ceremony with just the couple and the officiant (and typically a shrine band). When researching shrines for my own wedding we found that most every shrine that performed weddings offered the ceremony as an a la carte service. Prices varied but I remember being quoted between 70000-100000 yen for the ceremony and band. Kimono rental was separate and quite a bit more than the ceremony itself.

Note that weddings in Japan are purely ceremonial. The legal wedding is different and involves filing some paperwork at city hall, and in most cases Japanese people do the two parts (legal and ceremonial) at different times. It's possible for non-residents to do the legal part too, but it's a relative hassle to collect all the necessary paperwork.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Couple-only marriage possible? 2016/1/16 07:21
We would just be doing a symbolic ceremony as our time in Japan will be limited due to work commitments so we'd not want to waste any time sorting the legal parts.

Basically, whilst travelling we would like to fit in something symbolic and memorable. No neither of us live in Japan.

Thanks for the information, at least I know it's possible now so can try track something down. If you do know any websites that would come in handy please send them across!
Thanks
by David Moody (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread