Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/28 11:34
I am looking into buying a replica sword when i go to japan this year. I will ask the airlines about getting it on the plane but I was just wondering about how I will get it around Japan with me. We are starting in Tokyo, then going to kyoto osaka and hiroshima so will be getting alot of trains. Will I be okay putting the sword in my suitcase when we travel? any advice would be appreciated
by Michael (guest)  

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/28 13:38
Depending on how long your trip is, you could use the takkyubin service and have it sent to the airport to meet you. Takkyubin generally only stores items for 7 days before collection, though, so it won't work if you're going on a long trip.

Is there a reason you have to buy the sword at the start of your trip, and not the end?
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/28 13:40
Continued:

You could also post it home.

And remember to not only check with the airlines, but also your home country's Customs department. Some countries have restrictions on weapons, even decorative ones. You may need to be able to prove the sword is fake (perhaps a certificate?).

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/30 08:31
I could buy it at the end but i might see one in kyoto that i want to buy and it means i would have to take it on the train back to tokyo for the flight home. i could put it in my suitcase (we are staying in 3 different hotels), would it be allowed on the train though
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/30 14:37
No one checks your luggage before you take it on the train. If it fits in your suitcase, no problem. If it doesn't, still no problem as long as you don't wave it around while on the train! It's the airlines that will be the issue.

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/31 02:09
hi michael.....does the replica have to be from japan? are you located in the u.s.? there are several online sites where you can order replica and sharpened katana and have them shipped to you. trueswords.com has quite a varied selection at a reasonable price.
by kolohe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/31 02:58
I tend to think that some of the appeal of getting a replica sword is that it comes "from" Japan and is bought "in" Japan. If bought in the US, it may lose a little "authenticity".
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/31 06:34
I had a few friends in this situation.

The issue will be with customs in your country, not Japan. When you get to the airport, they will definitely pull you aside and ask about the sword. Both friends explained that they were replicas and that they were leaving Japan. Security was fine with it.

To restate, the only issue security will have is to verify if the sword is leaving Japan and that you are not trying to smuggle out a cultural relic. If it is staying, that brings in the nightmare of licensing.

by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/31 07:20
I am from the UK. My issue is that not only do i have to deal with UK customs, but we are stoppingover in dubai so i have to deal with them aswell. Also i want to buy it IN japan.
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/1/31 07:38
Look into the customs procedures in both countries. If you can't find the information online, try calling the local embassy and see if they can help you. Also look through the airline's websites - they may have their own conditions.

Possibly your best bet might be posting it home to avoid all the mess in the airport while you're travelling; but they might still contact you for information about the sword while it's passing through customs.

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/2/1 08:08
I did look in to posting it home. My issue with UK customs is that it is now illegal to import curved swords of blade length over 50cm. UNLESS the sword is made using "traditional methods". My worry about that condition is that, how exactly are customs going to know if it was made using "traditional methods", are they just going to take my word for it? I doubt it. Do i need some sort of certificate, and, quite frankly i dont even know what the traditional method is. i dont know alot about swords i just want one as a display piece. Anyone got any insight into that issue?
by michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/2/6 19:08
as you're from the UK your main problem will be with UK customs. as to own a replica sword in the UK you need to be a registered martial art's practitioner (I recently had such a discussion with a pair of cops who saw my rather extensive collection).

strangely owning a real sword (especially one made using traditional methods) is easier as you don't need a license. (yeah the law here in the UK is weird)

if you're a member of a martial art's club then I suggest getting a photo copy of your membership details (insurance/member number ect) and put it in with the sword as well as keeping your martial arts license with you. otherwise it could be confiscated and possibly destroyed

personally I'd suggest ordering one online and having it shipped to the UK (blades-uk.com) is a good site for buying swords (both real and replica) and are quite cheep made with traditional methods to remain within the UK law. I bought one from them a few years back which I use for cutting practice
by crwydryny rate this post as useful

Re: Looking to buy a replica sword in Japan 2016/2/6 19:16
I did look in to posting it home. My issue with UK customs is that it is now illegal to import curved swords of blade length over 50cm. UNLESS the sword is made using "traditional methods". My worry about that condition is that, how exactly are customs going to know if it was made using "traditional methods", are they just going to take my word for it? I doubt it. Do i need some sort of certificate, and, quite frankly i dont even know what the traditional method is. i dont know alot about swords i just want one as a display piece. Anyone got any insight into that issue?

it's actually quite easy to tell if a sword is made in traditional methods. as most cheep swords are usually just cast from blanks which means they are un-tempered, and are generally poor quality steel (usually stainless steel as opposed to carbon steel which requires a lot more care)

to post a sword to the UK you'd need an import license, but they can be carried in checked luggage, but as I stated in my previous comment if it's a blunt wall hanger you're looking for you need a martial art's license to own one. you'd be better off ordering one online and having it posted to your home. blades-uk.com have a good forum with people more knowledgeable about the subject of sword ownership in the UK (including import/export laws) someone on there may be able to help you.
by crwydryny rate this post as useful

reply to this thread