Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Software to change image into txt (Kanji) 2016/2/2 14:18
Does anybody know of a program where I can insert a picture file (such as .jpg or .png) and the software will read the words in that picture and change it into text format (such as .txt .doc .epub .pdf)? It is ok if the software only has Japanese interface.

I am aware that google translate has a similiar function, but it is not accurate for reading kanji and I do not need the translation function.

If possible I would prefer software that:
-(high priority) is free or has a free trial
-(medium priority) is able to read many image files at a time
-(low priority) adds furigana to the kanji

Thank you for reading this question!
by Kanji reader (guest)  

Re: Software to change image into txt (Kanji) 2016/2/2 16:37
Have you tried google translate recently? The app had an update not too long ago, and I now find it to be quite useful for OCR and much better than it was in the past. The major drawback is speed, as it can become quite time consuming if you need to do lots of characters.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Software to change image into txt (Kanji) 2016/2/2 16:52
Thank you for your reply! Actually I am still using google translate at the moment (to read light novels). I am on the latest version (4.4.0) and it simply makes too many mistakes for me. Even when I use a scanner instead of just the phone's camera it will make 1-5 mistakes per page. If possible id like a program that can read many pages at once and this takes forever with google translate :(

Data usage is not a problem because I was planning to use this type of software on my home pc.
by Kanji reader (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Software to change image into txt (Kanji) 2016/2/2 18:48
Your reading procedure sounds quite time-confusing, I would suggest that this time could be better invested in kanji learning.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Software to change image into txt (Kanji) 2016/2/2 18:49
Sorry, I meant "time-consuming" of course, this has been a long day...
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread