Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/12 04:38
Hi Everyone,

First, thanks ahead of time. We're photographers out of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. We'll be in Japan from February 17th - March 31st.

On the legal side, is it possible for us to photograph couples (or even weddings) while in Japan? If we charged a fee? (I feel like the charging a fee could be a huge problem unless we had a work visa, so, we may just have to avoid all together. Even if we charged only in the US ahead or after ... I still think it's probably a gray area to a solid "NO" - so, just looking for confirmation here)

On another note - we'll be in Japan!! If we just *want* to photograph couples there, where would we post this? It'd be very limited, and I don't want to annoy anyone with a post like that.
by Sclark  

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/12 09:11
Any remuneration on a Temporary Visitor status is illegal, period.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/12 09:23
That's not entirely correct, you can get paid while on a temporary visa in certain situations. But as a general rule of thumb, you shouldn't be working for Japanese companies/clients while on temporary visitor status, but it starts to get into a gray area when we're talking about freelance jobs.

On the legal side, is it possible for us to photograph couples (or even weddings) while in Japan?

Yes

If we charged a fee?

Possibly, but it depends on the situation. For example, the temporary visitor status also covers business travelers conducting business in Japan, so coming to Japan for a shoot that is contracted outside the country might be ok.

On another note - we'll be in Japan!! If we just *want* to photograph couples there, where would we post this? It'd be very limited, and I don't want to annoy anyone with a post like that.

This forum doesn't allow classifieds (but you can look into the classifieds section). Try other japan forums or modeling sites.There was one regular poster here doing photo shoots of models while traveling. Might be worth contacting, but unfortunately I can't remember his name. You can search similar threads for his name.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/12 18:19
Most Japanese people you will meet as tourists will have limited English, will be nervous of using it, and will be badly freaked out if you go up to them in the street and ask to photograph them. Please do not do this. It crosses the line.

Maybe if they are cosplaying in Harajuku, yes, but otherwise no.

Japanese people often find it difficult to say 'no', it's part of the culture, and they may feel obliged to allow you to photograph them, effectively whilst scared and under duress. Or they may just try to escape you.

If you offer money, particularly to younger people, you may end up in serious trouble, as they misunderstand what you are asking for.

Please don't try to snap people in kimonos - they are not dressing that way for the tourists. A kimono is like a formal suit in Japan, often used for trips to shrines and family, or for formal events.

There will be circumstances, perhaps at a festival, where people will be posing for tourists. That's good for tourist snaps but not for commercial exploitation.

If you go to a shrine, you may see a wedding. In such cases it isn't unusual for bystanders to watch and take photos. As long as Japanese tourists are doing it, feel free to join in. Just keep a discreet distance. Again, for tourism, not for commerce.

If you want to take photos in Japan for commercial purposes, you should contact photographic agencies or professional photographers, and work with someone who knows how to approach people in a culturally acceptable manner, can handle any release forms and speaks Japanese.

I'm not being mean, I'm trying to stop you from scaring the locals, giving tourists a bad name and getting into trouble.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/13 01:00
On the topic of kimonos:

I ran into a group of "Kimono Jack" folks in Kanazawa - and all of us were having lots of fun posing for shots (and me getting to wear a few pieces)

In Tokyo, I was under the impression that kimonos were worn as posh Sunday attire (by young women) when window shopping in Ginza; nothing formal about that as far as I could tell.
by duckamuck rate this post as useful

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/13 04:09
Thanks everyone. Good, that's the clear confirmation I needed. Just a flat out 'no'

@David - I think you misunderstood what I was asking, though, then again, I really didn't clarify much. We wouldn't be looking to photograph people we don't know in some way. We're not into street photography, and very much not into approaching people (Japanese or not) at random.

Thank you everyone for the responses. It's what I needed to confirm.
by Sclark rate this post as useful

Re: We're Photographers - photo people in Japan? 2016/2/15 01:49
David made several very good points in his reply. Being married to a Japanese lady and having a condo in Kobe i spend a fair amount of time in Japan and have a number of friends there. Japanese, especially women, tend to be somewhat shy around foreigners and by their culture are very careful not to offend. Therefore, they may allow photos even if they don't want to and i would not suggest it for casual street photographers. This doesnt apply to the original guestion posted by professional photographers but is intended for casual tourists ; don't take advantage of Japanese good nature to get a "tourist" shot unless other people (mainly Japanese) are also taking pics. Even then be discreet!
by foxchaser rate this post as useful

reply to this thread