Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/19 06:09
My partner and I (Australian and New Zealander) have been talking about Eloping in Kyoto. I have pictured a ceremony being performed in one of Kyoto's beautiful gardens in Autumn. We don't mind so much if it is technically legal, happy to finish the paper work once home.

We would still to get dressed up and have an amazing photographer capture the ceremony. How would we go about finding an english speaking Celebrant, Photographer and Florist?

Are there any cultural do's and don'ts to consider and be aware of?

Thanks, Katie :)
by katie loo  

Re: Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/21 09:37
Some gardens are private, some are public, rules will differ, and you may simply have to obtain permission (most likely in Japanese).

Contact a Japanese wedding/event organiser or photographer in Kyoto who advertises English language skills on their website. They will tell you what you can and can't do and sort out the paperwork.

They are unlikely to be willing to break any laws for you, as after you have been deported, their will have to face the consequences.

If you do offend someone by holding your event in their grounds, you may be doing the 'paperwork' in separate cells before being deported. Your passports will be stamped and your future holiday options may be limited.

In general, you shouldn't have a problem in arranging a modest photo shoot, but you should have a Japanese-speaking organiser arrange permission first. The alternative is impolite and arrogant, especially in a foreign country.

If you actually want to get married in Kyoto, there are agencies who can arrange that too.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/21 10:46
The choice of word 'Elopement' , is that really what you mean?

If you are seeking an official legal recognize marriage, hence your choice of word 'Elopement', then a trip to Kyoto City Hall with bunch of documents are required.
A simple 'Yes, I do' with fake priest to solemnise your marriage will not do.

If you just looking for a wedding ceremony without any legality bound, just contact any wedding planner and they'll be glad to quote you a price and discuss any arrangement.
A quick English Google will present you with many links.

http://bfy.tw/4Mtd

http://kyoto-wakon.watabe-wedding.co.jp/english/
http://kyoto-weddings.jp/kyoto-garden-wedding.html

by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/21 12:46
Since the OP said "happy to finish the paper work once home," I am assuming just a ceremony, no legal procedures.

That means contacting a wedding planner is the way to go :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/21 19:46
Hi, thank you for your advice and links.
Apologies if question was not clear.. I had to keep cutting it down to fit in the box.

Certainly not the type of travellers who would ever want to offend people or perform anything illegal, especially in a foreign country. Hope I haven't come across that way.

we have been planning to visit Japan for the first time this year and thought as it looks so breath taking it could be a special place for my partner and I to exchange our vows to one another. We are not looking for a traditional western 'white wedding'

You have definitely helped point is in the right direction :)
by katie loo rate this post as useful

Re: Elopement ceremony in a Kyoto garden? 2016/2/22 10:45
Don't worry, you came across perfectly clear in your original question. The good advice here is to contact an event/wedding organizer. There are a few English services around Kyoto mentioned around the forums, although it might be easier to look via google instead.

However this comment:

They are unlikely to be willing to break any laws for you, as after you have been deported, their will have to face the consequences.

If you do offend someone by holding your event in their grounds, you may be doing the 'paperwork' in separate cells before being deported. Your passports will be stamped and your future holiday options may be limited.

What a strange thing to say... Not sure what they're expecting, like some sort of guerrilla wedding service in Rikugien?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread