Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/2/24 09:17
Hi Everyone,
We are traveling in Japan in April and will be in Hakone, Takayama, Koyasun and Miyajima, as well as in big cities. I plan to rent pocket wifi, but most sell Y!mobile providers. Have anyone used pocket wifi in these areas? I was looking for Docomo, but very few vendors offer it.
I think I need a wide coverage vs fast speed.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Maria
by MariaCR  

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/2/24 11:11
I rented a pocket wifi from ToCoo and used it successfully in Hakone, Miyajima and Koyasan. Only really rural areas (i.e., off the main tourist map) will have coverage issues.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/2/27 09:53
Try (Global Advanced Communications)
They're the best from 3 times experiences.
Great coverage + reasonable prices.
by Abdulmalik (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/3/10 12:52
I used Global Advanced Communications too in 2014 and it was a wonderful experience. Will be using them again on this years trip.
by Shogun26 rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/3/10 22:17
I've used GAC for my trips in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. I already have my MiFi reserved for May. It's very good.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/3/11 18:00
I'm went to Koyasan with a GAC pocket wifi last year. It worked great in Koyasan, Mikyajima and Kinosaki Onsen. I did get the Premium Wifi option though.

On the Narita Airport website, it's said that GAC items can be picked up at the QL Liner counter at Terminal 1. But on GAC's website, it says pick up at the post office. I'm assuming there's no options to pick it up at the QL Liner counter or on the arrivals floor?

I did remember seeing several Pocket Wifi/Phone rental counters as I'm exiting the baggage area in Narita Terminal 1. Anyone happens to know which companies those are?
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/3/11 22:33
If there is a provision to pick it up at a location other than the post office, it's going to require you to do two things: mention and opt for it when you first reserve your unit and also you must pay the added fee for "special delivery" to that location.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Best coverage for pocket wifi 2016/3/12 09:45
I'm heading to Japan shortly too and was planning to go with GAC. Is the standard option enough for places like Hakone and Miyajima or would you need the premium? Or alternatively, has anyone tried the Eco option?
by Lanny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread