Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How far will the £ fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 05:08
Am off to Japan in March and unknown to me the pound against the yen has plummeted in just a week. :-( I have not paid for any of my hotels - just booked them but am tempted to see if I can pay as am concerned the pound is going to fall some more. Thoughts?
by xpc (guest)  

Re: How far will the £ fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 09:39
No one knows.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How far will the £ fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 10:05
No one could possibly say for sure. It would depend on both economies (I'm surprised it's taken such a dive given that Japan is now into negative interest rates to try to boos the economy). I'd go to financial websites, or just Google News, and see what the experts are predicting. If you're travelling next month, though, I wouldn't expect a huge change!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How far will the fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 19:19
I'm not an economist, but the rate is falling due to uncertainty about the EU exit. The markets don't seem to like the idea of an ex-EU UK.

I think it's going to continue to fall so long as the outcome seems to lean towards the possibility of an EU exit.

Without drastic intervention J side or UK I can't see why it would suddenly reverse the downard trend before the Vote.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How far will the fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 22:07
Also, you have to bear in mind that (a) if an important member of the EU like the UK leaves, it WILL undermine the credibility of the EU, (b) Scotland will push for another referendum to quit the UK and seek to join EU as an independent country, (c) other EU waverers might also be tempted to follow the UK to an exit, which pretty soon could become a rush for the door.

Hardly the stuff to inspire confidence in currency investments in GBP or Euro.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How far will the £ fall against the yen? 2016/2/25 23:33
Just to add to what has already been said...
Unfortunately to anybody intending to go to Japan soon it's going to cost more than originally anticipated.

Technically the JPY has been bullish (getting stronger) and GBP bearish (getting weaker) since about December 2015.

The recent changes have been due to lack stability and confidence in China's stock market after it crashed last year and low oil prices. This creates demand for the Yen as a 'save haven' currency. As such, despite the Bank of Japan introducing negative interest rates at -0.1% for interbank lending it hasn't done much to ward off investors and get the banks to lend their money.

As for the GBP It's currently at a 3 year low against the JPY despite been backed by a strong economy overall. Due to the Brexit and the uncertainty of how the UK will vote on June 23rd is the root cause for losses, Boris Johnson's public announcement this week that he'd back the Brexit is one of the primary reasons it's fallen so fast.

The GBP/JPY pair will remain volatile until these issues are sorted. That's not to say wait or trade now, there's no way of knowing exactly what will happen in the future.
by NihonMaybe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread