Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which of these do you know/like? 2016/3/6 10:09
Hi,

I am texting a new classmate from Japan and want to get to know him a little better. I tried to ask him some basic questions but he didn't seem to understand. I wanted to ask him what does he like the most about America, and what famous person does he know, what anime does he like, etc.

What I typed in Japanese was:

アメリカの一番好きは何ですか。
アメリカのどちらのユ名な人をしりますか。
アメリカでどちらのところにいったことがありますか。
どんなのアニメとビデオゲームのほうが好きですか。アメリカか日本ですか。

So did I mess up anywhere? Maybe I used dochira and donna incorrectly?
by New guy (guest)  

Re: Which of these do you know/like? 2016/3/6 15:34
Maybe something like:

アメリカの何が一番好きですか。or アメリカについて、一番好きなのは何ですか。(What do you like most about the US?)

有名なアメリカ人を誰か知っていますか。(Which famous American do you know?)

アメリカでどこにいったことがありますか。(Where in the US have you been to?)

アニメとビデオゲームは、アメリカのと日本のと、どちらが好きですか。(When it comes to animations and video games, which do you like better, American or Japanese?)

But don't "question" him too much - if these questions come up as part of your conversation with him, that's fine, but if you ask him out of the blue, he simply might not know how to answer "right" :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these do you know/like? 2016/3/6 17:49
That's great that you're getting to know someone from my country. I'm Just curious, though. Did you try asking those questions in English as well?

If your classmate is a teen or older, he should already have learned some basic English phrases at school in Japan. You can try asking in Japanese, but if that doesn't work maybe you can repeat the question in plain English. It will be your little language lesson exchange.

And when asking in English, try to be as simple as possible.

Do you like America?: simple
What do you like about America?: not so simple
Do you like anime? simple
Which do you like better? Anime or sports?: not so simple
I like anime. Do you like anime?: simple

Hope you guys have fun!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread