Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/6 20:29
Is it OK to give white chocs/cookies to my Japanese teachers who do such a great job?

Chocs? Cookies? Any other advice on exactly what and how much to spend on the gifts?

Will my grades go up..........?
by John (guest)  

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/7 12:04
Bribery is never a good thing....
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/7 14:16
Students only give teachers presents on special occasions (eg: omiyage after returning from a holiday), and the presents are usually small. It would be weird for you to randomly turn up with chocolates for no reason.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/7 19:00
Oops...

Seems I misunderstood the meaning of WD.

I've been sending chocs/sweets to my married friend and her daughters for years. Did I get that wrong as well? (Although the chocs/sweets were never returned lol)?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/7 19:32
If you are talking about White Day, John, then what happens is that on Valentine's Day, girls/women give chocolates to boys/guys they fancy (it got started out in Japan as the ONLY day in the year when girls/women could confess - now that is obsolete to some extent), to their boyfriend/spouse, to their male colleagues, or just to friends (both male and female) in general by now, as tokens of friendship. Chocolate industry's conspiracy.

Now the cookie/candy industry came up with White Day, one month after Valentine's Day, as the day to return the favor of the gifts received one month ago. So... if you received anything on Valentine's Day, you could give some cookies or something on March 14th, but otherwise not, and particularly not to teachers expecting better grades because of that... I certainly hope you were joking about the grades :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/7 22:06
AK, of course I was...(joking)
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/8 08:33
Oops...
Seems I misunderstood the meaning of WD.

I've been sending chocs/sweets to my married friend and her daughters for years. Did I get that wrong as well? (Although the chocs/sweets were never returned lol)?

WD is for returning gifts received on VD. It's a day for men to give 'giri chocolate' to the girls who gave them something on VD. Sometimes students like to bake cookies and give them to teachers on VD but they usually give them to all of their teachers, not just one, and personally it feels a little strange when male students give me gifts on VD.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I give my sensei white chocs? 2016/3/8 13:28
There is nothing wrong giving chocolates if you make sure your intention is known to receiver.

Seeing VD just made me (^_^;))) (//////), but ..
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread