Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/9 14:39
I live in Japan and want to buy a contraceptive pill called YAZ from this site: http://osakadou.org/

The reason I want to buy it from overseas is because the Japanese pill brands don't control acne. In Tokyo there are some doctors who prescribe Western brands but I live in a small city where this is not the case.

I have to buy 6 months worth which exceeds the 30 day import limit. Some of my friends have had this medicine sent to them and didn't need a Yakkan Shoumei for it. My friend recently wrote to Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare asking if we need a YS in advance, and they said that we don't need any paperwork to have the package mailed to us, but that Customs may decide to hold the package until we get a YS (none of my friends had this problem, the package was delivered directly to them without anyone requesting a YS).

Because it's an online pharmacy, there is no prescription required to buy this medicine. Therefore I can't get a Yakkan Shoumei as I don't have a doctor's prescription. I'm really scared that I might get in trouble for ordering it without having the paperwork. The guidelines for Yakkan Shoumei are a bit confusing because all of the Q and A is aimed at people coming to Japan via plane, not people who already live here and want to buy medicine online or have relatives send it to them from overseas.

Could somone please tell me if it's okay to buy medications online or can I get in trouble for it?
by Jenn Jett (guest)  

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/9 16:58
I don't understand. Your friends say it's okay, and now you're asking the same question to anonymous strangers on an internet forum because you are scared?

If you're scared of doing the wrong thing, I suggest you ask those authoritities yourself.

You can double-check by writing to the Ministry as well as the Customs. If there is language barrier and if you can't afford a professional translator, you can ask a reliable friend to translate your questions and the answers you get. You can keep the copies of the answers from the authorities to back you up just in case something should happen.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 09:01
I don't understand. Your friends say it's okay, and now you're asking the same question to anonymous strangers on an internet forum because you are scared?
If you're scared of doing the wrong thing, I suggest you ask those authoritities yourself.

Sorry if you think my question is annoying or silly. I'm asking here because many people on this forum are Japanese and/or live in Japan and may have more experience with this than my friends, who have only lived here for one year.

My friend received an answer from the MHLW and their reply to our question was confusing and ambiguous, which is why I'm asking here in the hope that someone with experience buying medication online will have more information. The email said that we don't need a Yakkan Shoumei to order online, but that Customs may decide to hold the package and request a YS. The problem is that I can't get a YS for this item as I don't have a prescription, nor can I get one because no doctors in Japan prescribe this brand of medication. So what happens if Customs ask for a YS?
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 12:27
Sorry if you think my question is annoying or silly. I'm asking here because many people on this forum are Japanese and/or live in Japan and may have more experience with this than my friends, who have only lived here for one year.

No, it's not annoying or silly. I just didn't understand it, and therefore didn't know how I could help you.

I'm Japanese and I have a good Japanese friend who has ordered medicine from that website. It seems to be a famous website among residents who want to import medicine. He didn't have any problems. He recommended me to do the same, but I didn't want to buy any medicine. But then again, you don't know me and I could be lying or I could have misunderstood my friend.

The email said that we don't need a Yakkan Shoumei to order online, but that Customs may decide to hold the package and request a YS...... So what happens if Customs ask for a YS?

If the email is corrrect, they will hold the package until you're able to get the YS, and if you can't get the Ys you won't get the package.

But what I was trying to say is that, you will get a more certain answer by sending an inquiry directly to the Customs. I'm sure that a lot of people don't bother to send inquiries and just rely on their friends experiences, but if you don't want to pay any risks, sending inquiries is what you should do.

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 13:53
I am Japanese living in Japan and have bought pills (of a different brand though) from this website, for four months worth. My package did not get stopped at customs, and I never had to file for any Yakkan Shoumei to buy them.
As those online shops deal in medications that are permitted by th Japanese authorities but not readily available in Japan, or not purchaseable without prescription, you are not breaking the law or anything bu purchasing from them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 17:35
I followed Uco's advice and emailed Customs, despite the fact that MHLW already emailed my friend a few days ago telling her it's okay to order a 6 month supply from this website. Osaka Customs said I can ONLY order 1 month supply maximum without YS (which is impossible to get because it's a Western brand that isn't prescribed here). MHLW and Customs are saying 2 different things. I'm so confused and don't know what to do. I really need this pill to help with my quality of life as I am in a lot of pain and discomfort. Why does this website sell 6 month supplies when they know Japanese people and foreigners living in Japan can't get a YS for it? And why did my friends receive their medication without any problems - were they just lucky? I'm only trying to do the right thing and wish it wasn't so complicated.

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 20:01
Do you think they might do "bun-nou-hassou" then, like it says on Q05-03?
http://教えてオオサカ堂.com/

But I'm beginning to think that I may have misunderstood your question. I should stay away from this thread so that I won't confuse you any further. I hope you get what you need. Please take care.

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/10 22:01
Do you think they might do "bun-nou-hassou" then, like it says on Q05-03?
http://教えてオオサカ堂.com/

What is bun nou hassou?

Re: Yakkan Shoumei for online purchases? 2016/3/11 10:16
if you concern legality, you can have YAZ(Bayer) in Japanese health insurance system.
it is expensive. 253.50 yen per tablet. 253.50x28x0.3=2129.4 yen per 28 days.
I think their business is in gray zone about the legality.
the medicine will be shipped from Singapore. I don't know the Singapore health system. I hope it can be sold without a prescription in that country.
if it were fake, Japanese government will not help the users.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread