Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traditional Japanese board games in Tokyo 2016/3/16 10:05
Hi, I am visiting Tokyo in a couple of weeks. I am looking for a place where I can learn and try out Japanese board games like Shogi and different games that are played with Go (Igo) pieces, (or any other traditional/popular games in Japan). I have heard that there are Igo salons. But are there any places where they speak English and welcome beginners? Where can I find them? And can I just join them without a membership? Thanks.
by Sam (guest)  

Re: Traditional Japanese board games in Tokyo 2016/3/16 17:17
I mention only Igo(Go), because I love Igo.
If you have no experience of Igo, I recommend you to have a look at this site first of all, and practice a little before coming to an Igo salon.
[These English pages are by machine translation, they are therefore of poor quality and not all pages are translated, but you will be able to have a general understanding of this game. And you will download a free Igo software (for PC), and if you are a Mac user, you alredy have a software named Goban in your application folder.]

The Nihon Ki-in:
Introduction to Go:
http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp.e.qs.hp.transer.com/learn/
http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp.e.qs.hp.transer.com
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese board games in Tokyo 2016/3/16 19:27
Thank you for your information. It will definitely be useful as a beginner and before I arrive in Japan. I see that the Nihon ki-in has some links to societies as well. That would be great I suppose but I am not sure how many of them offer visits in English. Do you know any places I will able to visit in English and as a beginner?
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese board games in Tokyo 2016/3/17 09:09
I am afraid to say I have no idea.
The Nihon Ki-in is the nation-wide organization, and according to the site (in English), they seem to manage directly two centers in Tokyo (Ichigaya, the headquarters, and Yurakucho). But, since they leave their English pages translation in machinefs hands, I am sure that they donft organize systematically beginnersf classes in English. Nevertheless, there are no small number of Igo salons related to the Nihon Ki-in or not, in each district, in each neighborhood in Tokyo city, you will have possibilities to find kind English speaking members in one of them. But, I think, you should learn beforehand and by yourself the least of Igo that you could learn in these English pages. Because your stay will be a few weeks in Japan, you will surely loose your precious time learning rudimentary notion of Igo, and possible kind English speaking members would not be kind enough to instruct you from scratch.
Be courageous and good luck!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese board games in Tokyo 2016/3/17 10:20
Thanks a ton, for all the information and the encouraging words! Hope it will be a good experience! Cheers!
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread