Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 14:31
How do you ask, "where did you buy that/this from?"
Is it, "doko kara kaimashita ka?" If not, why can't kara be used? Cause i know it means from. Thanks in advance for any help receive!
by Ryan (guest)  

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 21:01
You need to get rid of the idea that there is a one-to-one correspondence between words in one language and words in another. That's not how it works.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 22:08
- Doko de kaimashita ka.

If you think about it, you do the act of buying "at" a location (store, city, etc.).

For reference:
- Dare kara moraimashita ka. (From who did you get/receive it?)
- Doko kara kimashita ka. (Where did it/you come from?)
- Doko de sono eiga wo mimashita ka. (Where did you watch that movie?)
- Doko de hirugohan wo tabemashita ka. (Where did you have lunch?)
etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 22:59
Oh, so it is wrong to say, "doko kara kaimashita ka"? From the example given i understand that, when de is used in "doko de kaimashita ka" it is "where did you buy that" when kara is used in "doko kara kimashita ka" it is "where did you come FROM"

Sorry if I'm a little slow in grasping it, i just wanna get it right
by Ryan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 23:05
So "doko kara kaimashita ka" cannot be translated to "where did you buy it FROM"? Or is there no such phrase? Only "where did you buy it"

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/16 23:05
So "doko kara kaimashita ka" cannot be translated to "where did you buy it FROM"? Or is there no such phrase? Only "where did you buy it"

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/17 11:05
"Where did you buy it?" and "Where did you buy it from?" mean the same thing, so does it matter?
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/18 08:59
Ummm, you are trying to learn the Japanese language, right?

In Japanese, you see someone with a nice.. piece of clothing or whatsoever, and you want to know where they bought it, what we say is: "Doko de kaimashita ka." In Japanese the act of "kau/kaimasu" happens AT a spot, so it takes a "de."

This may be different from the way it's expressed in English, but in the first place (1) "where did you buy it from" is very colloquial (in my understanding), and as Firas correctly said, for some expressions there may not be one-to-one equivalent expression in another language.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/18 14:37
"Doko de kaimashita ka." ="where did you buy it"
It it right.

"doko kara kaimashita ka"?
I am Japanese, so thought the situation to use this sentence.

It might be the case where the questioner ask the
channel which the person buy it on, like amazon, shop,
telephone shopping.

So it is not wrong expression but used in such special situation.
I suppose.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/18 20:25

There is no such phrase. Actually though, you can say "dare kara kaimashita ka?" (Who did you buy it from?), but we simply don't say "doko kara kaimashita ka?"

That's the way it is. Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where did you buy that from? 2016/3/19 12:05
Ahhh, thanks everyone for the help, I understand now. Really appreciate all the help from everyone!

reply to this thread