Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/19 10:29
There are a number of things that I wanted to buy before I head back home. With this thread, I wanted to see if there are areas that you see where you can chime and perhaps make a suggestion as to the best place to get a particular product.

I do this for visitors to my home all the time, but we have Neiman Marcus which simplifies things a lot since they are pretty much the only real high store besides Nordstrom.

Clothes

1. For you avid shoppers and fluent Japanese speakers, do you happen to know what are the highest end clothing and shoe stores?

I don't want to do much shopping here but I have seen many things here that I have never seen elsewhere. I will list some examples:

1a. Flat soft sole dress that look nice.
Most of the dress that I have seen have almost always been Oxford soles and the ones that are flat sole are not that good looking in my opinion. But not here in Tokyo, I must buy me a pair before I leave next week.

1b. Undergarments
I was thinking something like what is the Japanese top brand in this area. In the Neiman Marcus at home, the top brand is Hanro. This is undershirts and underwear (boxers/ briefs).

1c. Dress socks.
I use the brand Darn Tough Socks and they are nice. But they don't make dress socks and I have yet to find nice dress socks that don't have holes in them within two weeks of wear. The latest victims were Tommy Bahama socks.

1e. others
For pants, the AG brand is what I use and is popular at home. For shirts (summer polo and summer long-sleeve cotton), I am curious to see what are the top recommendations that locals usually opt for.

2. Stationary
I have read posts here about stationary being wonderful here but is there a definitive store that stocks the best of the best by local Japanese standards?

3. Manicure/ pedicure set

4. Eyeglasses

5. Colognes, lotions, talcs, bug spray, etc.

Again, just if you happen to see something where you are certain where I can buy the best, please share.

I am hoping I can get all my shopping done this weekend and be through with it. Thank you.
by SamuelBrown  

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/20 09:23
In Shinjuku there is a Tokyu Hands and Takashimaya department store together. I don't know what you consider "high end", but for me Takashimaya is pretty expensive. I have absolutely no knowledge of mens clothing so you'll have to take that with a grain of salt, but at Tokyu hands you'll find a great selection of stationary and some of the products listed at the bottom of your list. Plus, it's a really fun place! It's connected to Takashimaya so you could also pop into the department store's clothing areas to take a look and see.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/20 12:47
Go to Wako Department store in Ginza. That's as high end as you can go.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/20 13:18
If you're seriously looking for your own eyeglasses and don't have a problem with language barrier (ie. can speak Japanese or can hire an interpreter), I recommend Paris Miki, which has branches including one in Ginza.

They always insist on taking a great amount of time to make the perfect eyeglasses for you. It will take about an hour at the store and another week to get the lense made and fit into the frame. They're frames may not be as fancy as the ones you see in affordable shops like Zoff, but are very practical and fit the human head perfectly. They will also make sure they mold it into the right shape to fit the holder.

Generally speaking, the district of Ginza has always taken pride to provide the best merchandise and best service, although you can find same/similar things elsewhere if you try.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/21 15:27
High end stores congregate in Ginza and Omotesando. You can also check out Isetan Men which is a department store for men.
by Ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/23 01:03
http://kaneko-optical.co.jp/ is pretty high end for eye glasses too. They do tax free and they may have English speakers on staff in the Shinjuku store.

The other national chains like ZOFF, J!NS, and Megane Super are usually 5,000 / 7,000 / 10,000 yen for a pair of glasses (which are really nice by the way).
by edincoat rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/23 17:44
Great suggestions so far! I will check out Wako tomorrow.

Regarding glasses, do they hang ups about the prescription and force you to get an exam? Or do they just go based on what you tell them. I normally get my glasses (lens and frame) online from Costal. I know it sounds strange to get something like glasses online but they are great in my opinion.

But I will look around and consider buying frames here if something catches my eye.
by SamuelBrown rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/24 14:09
Average Japanese men clothes are often too small for Western men, unless they are very slim.
I usually wear jackets that are size 40 short and they were too tight on the shoulders, even though I am not tall, nor very wide at the shoulders.
Dress pants would have been ok at the waist but the legs were obviously way too tight...I did not dare pull the on the legs higher than a few inches above the knees...

There are clothes for men stout and short, but they were too big for me..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 02:42
When I was shopping at Tokyu Hands today, I had a long conversation about where to buy 'made in Japan' clothes, socks, shoes etc for men and I mentioned both Isetan Mens AND the entire Ginza and Omotesando area. They both said NO! These places will not have made in Japan menswear that I am looking for. They actually made a list for me with four areas:

Hiroo, Ebisu, Nihonbashi, Asakusa

They said these are the areas to find the expensive made in Japan clothing for men. But since they didn't specify which stores, I am still confused. Can someone help me out here please? Tomorrow is my final day to finish this last bit of shopping.

I also still can't seem to find out where the professional shaving supplies are sold OR where the specialty knife shops are.

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 04:22
Why don't you stop by the Tokyo Tourist Information Center in the basement of Kitte Maronouchi building, where the old post office was located (across the street from Tokyo Station). I've been given quite good information when I've asked there.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 09:39
When I was shopping at Tokyu Hands today, I had a long conversation about where to buy 'made in Japan' clothes, socks, shoes etc for men and I mentioned both Isetan Mens AND the entire Ginza and Omotesando area. They both said NO! These places will not have made in Japan menswear that I am looking for. They actually made a list for me with four areas:
Hiroo, Ebisu, Nihonbashi, Asakusa

So what made-in-Japan menswear are you looking for exactly? What age range? What brand? Casual or businesswear? Can you give us an example of a specific merchandise? I can't even think of a store in Hiroo (there are stores here and there, but nothing specific comes to mind and all I can think of are food related). A very quick Google search gave me only one in Hiroo, which is an American brand.

Like I mentioned before, if you pay the effort it's often better to search smaller towns for better quality in more reasonable prices, but if you're not detailed it's usually easier to go to a department store like the ones in Ginza or the broad shopping streets of Omotesando which extends to Aoyama. Actually, it's difficult to pinpoint which are made-in-Japan and which are not, so it can be better to just visit a department store and ask if you don't know about brands. Nihonbashi, which is close to Ginza, is also renovated, huge and has many department stores.

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 10:10
I also still can't seem to find out where the professional shaving supplies are sold OR where the specialty knife shops are.

There is a high concentration of knife shops in Kappabashi. Some sell shaving supplies, but I don't think they have a particularly large selections of these items. I'd try the department stores for that. They'll have higher end stuff, but I have a feeling that you're really looking for a specialty shop.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 12:29
@Uco - I am not sure if you will see this in time (or anyone) but I'm not looking for any particular brand. As long as it Japan-made then I'll try it. This is for me and I am in my late 20s.

Merchandise wise, the following:
khaki dress pants, AG type jeans, dress socks, walking dress shoes with flat soles, performance underclothing, futsal/indoor soccer shoes, long johns, long sleeve shirts.

That's all I can think of that I really want to buy here and see how the Japanese quality stands up.

@yllwsmrf - Yes, I am going to try the Isetan Men store mentioned earlier and I will continually check this thread for updates. Thank you all.

Re: highest end stores in Tokyo? 2016/3/25 12:59
If you're going to Isetan Men anyway, which is in Shinjuku, you can ask the clerk about where you can find brands that they happen to lack. A lot of the popular brands have stores in Shinjuku area, such as Regal which is known to be a high-end Japanese shoes manufacturer. Hope you find what you need.
http://www.regalshoes.jp/shop/storemaster/list.aspx#04

reply to this thread