Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation needed 2016/3/20 15:26

Could anyone please advise what the difference between the two rooms below?
I do not understand Japanese, and Google translation is not helping here.

本館8+8畳限定
別館 (8畳+4畳踏込)
by liem (guest)  

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 21:17
I assume it was written like:

本館(8+8畳)限定
別館 (8畳+4畳踏込)
because 限定 to me refers to the limited availability, not to any room "type."

Assuming the above, they mean (I assume you know that 畳 refers to the tatami mat used for the floor, also an indicator of the size of the room when they use it like this, in which case it is "8-jo"):

- Main building (8-jo + 8-jo size rooms), limited plan/rooms available
- Annex (8-jo room + 4-jo sized entrance)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 22:18
AK,
Thank you for your help.
Does it mean that 本館(8+8畳) room is bigger than
別館 (8畳+4畳踏込) ?
Also, does 限定 here mean limited availability/ limited rooms in number? Or in limited plan as " getting less in quantity of the package"?
I have proceeded with the reservation , but am still curious what they actual mean.
AK, again many thanks.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 22:25
If I read the description, I would say yes, "honkan" (the first one, main building) is bigger. I mean, I am Japanese, and that's what I would assume if I am booking.

I need to read the whole description to be sure about "limited" (there could have been some explanation right near it), but I would take it as "limited availability."
If they meant "getting less," that would have to appear on the booking calendar like on certain days "only 1 remaining" for which they would use a completely different phrasing.

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 22:35

AK,
Again thank you.
I could not see any additional information on the hotel website.
Here is the link : https://asp.hotel-story.ne.jp/ver3d/di/?hcod1=07640&hcod2=001&def=seek...

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 22:55
Took me a while to find it... OK, now seeing that it is part of a list of room types alongside a calendar (with prices), I would say this means "this price (as shown on the right) applies ONLY to this 8-jo + 8-jo room type." Meaning you cannot ask for another type of room for that price, upon arrival, for example.

You might want to check the description - when you click on a certain room type, you get some description below 客室タイプ紹介. For example, the 8-jo + 8-jo says that it "does not have its own toilet. This room faces the hallway leading to the bath. Please avoid if you mind others' footsteps. This room is located on the ground floor."

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/20 23:30
AK,
Again many thanks.
I took the only room available at 40000 円 for the 30th of April. I waited a wee bit too late for the reservation. Still, am feeling lucky to get a room for the day. Just keep my fingers crossed that those footsteps would not keep me awake.

Re: Translation needed 2016/3/21 09:50
Good you got a room in a place you wanted. I will keep my fingers crossed too :) I am sure you will enjoy the old traditional feel of the place and the bath!

reply to this thread