Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tourist buying international electronics? 2016/4/2 19:10
Is there any point to buying international electronics like laptops, tablets and smartphones in places like Akihabara, vs. a Japanese domestic model? Would I perhaps find a better deal than back in my home country (for me, the U.S), particularly for used/refurbished goods?

I am just curious. Thanks!
by desiman  

Re: Tourist buying international electronics? 2016/4/3 04:37
WIth the exchange rate the way it is right now, there isn't much you can buy in Japan that is cheaper than buying it in US retailers like Amazon, except for what I'm looking for: Nikon lenses.

I think you're better off not buying laptops, tablets or smartphones in Japan. First of all, the warranty won't work unless you get international models, which most likely will be more expensive than US models. Secondly, I think smartphones are attached to domestic carriers and that's a no-no if you're a tourist.

As far as tablets are concerned, I don't know if there is anything in Japan you can't find in the US. I'd stick with getting a model back home unless there's something specific you're looking for and you know the price here and there. You'll still have warranty issues to deal with.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tourist buying international electronics? 2016/4/4 16:33
I've brought cameras (though the point and shoot types, not dslrs), speakers and cordless phones in Akihabara. We picked international models since they will honor the warranty outside of Japan. For my home country, these gadgets were indeed less expensive so it was worth it.

A friend of mine asked me to buy Seiko watches for him in Japan and he made a killing reselling them back home. Apparently there's a big collector market here for those kind of watches.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourist buying international electronics? 2016/4/4 18:15
Is there any point to buying international electronics like laptops, tablets and smartphones in places like Akihabara, vs. a Japanese domestic model?

Yes, if the prices are better or to get Japanese domestic models that are not released outside the country. Note that JDM models often come with issues of compatibility.

Would I perhaps find a better deal than back in my home country (for me, the U.S), particularly for used/refurbished goods?

That is highly dependent on the models that you are looking for. Camera lenses, for example can be quite a bit cheaper. Tablets tend to cost almost exactly the same, while laptops run the gamut depending on which maker you're interested in (plus the whole keyboard issue). You can buy unlocked smartphones, but the models that are similar to what are available at home will cost about the same if not more. JDM model smartphones may not be fully compatible in the US.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread