Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to change money? 2016/4/9 18:29
In my country, many retail outlets and service providers do not like people paying with the largest denomination, especially for small purchases. Is there a similar situation in Japan? I will be taking a long trip soon, eating at many cheap restaurants, convenience stores, probably never going to expensive place. Of course I can load up my pasmo with a large sum no problem. But if I pay for a 1500 yen omurice, or 500 yen lunchbox, using 10000 yen note, is there a problem? Will I annoy the person who serves me? I ask because I have been given a lot of mans by my currency provider, and very few of anything else.

Is there anywhere in Tokyo (I am landing at Haneda, but anywhere will do) where I can exchange 1 man yen notes for 5000s, 2000s, 1000s, etc? Free of charge is of course best but maybe this isn't a possibility.

Thank you for your help.
by Money (guest)  

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/9 19:24
Paying with large notes is no problem at all, but using an IC card where possible is much more convenient.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/9 19:44
Thank you Firas for your helpful answer. That put my mind at ease. The last thing I want is to bother people needlessly. I forgot about the IC cards, seems it would be much better than carrying a lot of cash especially if I'm making small buys at stores every day. I looked it up and it seems that I should look out for a special sticker to indicate if a place will accept IC payment or not. In that case I will probably just load up a card with some extra on top of my travel budget when I land.

Thanks again. :)
by Money (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/10 08:22
Agreed. Japan is still a society that relies on cash and large notes aren't a problem.

Then again, you only have to break a large note like a 100,000yen once. But will take 6-8 transactions to be completely rid of it.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/10 09:39
Large bills for small amounts are not appreciated by many taxi drivers and temples.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/10 17:33
Noted. Thanks Uji. Though I don't see myself using taxi, I'll be sure to break a couple of notes when I arrive just in case.
by Money (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/10 17:55
If you withdraw from ATMs, at least on postal ones you can request 1,000 yen notes instead of 10,000 ones. For example if you withdraw 50,000 you can type RQO, and you will get 3 10,000s and 20 1,000s. (Postal ATMs don't give 5,000s.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Where to change money? 2016/4/10 17:57
"if I pay for a 1500 yen omurice, or 500 yen lunchbox, using 10000 yen note, is there a problem? "
that is 100% no problem.
you can buy train a cheapest train ticket (200 yen) by 10000 yen note at stations.
you have no problem to use a 10000 yen note at convenience stores, supermarkets,and etc. to buy a 100 yen item only.

you can't ask the exchange at stores. the easiest is going to banks.
but, you don't need to do that. you can use a 10000 yen note almost everywhere in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread