Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping in department stores 2016/4/18 08:26
I have been to Japan twice and never entered a department store.

This next visit I want to shop for clothes (not too much) and maybe some accessories.

My budget:

Shirts/Blouses: $30-55
Pants: $40-75
Skirts: $40-70
Casual Dress: $60-120

Is this budget impossible for department stores in Japan? I am looking for fashion for young adult women in mid 20s.

Takashimaya Shinjuku is on my to-go list because of the food hall. Is shopping for clothes an option there with my budget?

Or is there anywhere else you can recommend? is there a specific area I should go for shopping? Shinjuku? Or Ikebukuro? I heard Shibuya is more for teens and I don't want to shop for too casual. I want something I can dress up if I wear it to work then head for dinner or night out right after.

Thank you!
by miara rigawa (guest)  

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/18 11:21
Just visit a department store and you'll find out the answers yourself. Yes, it's do-able, and you don't have to buy anything if you don't find anything you want to buy.

Just take a walk inside a huge department store. There are floors with expensive things, and there are floors and sections with more casual things.

Just like any store, you can ask questions there, and you can try things on. If you don't like it, you can visit other shops outside the department store.

Department stores are fun even if it's just for looking around.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/18 11:32
I'd say with your budget look at more youth (young adult) oriented shopping complexes like LUMINE (Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, etc.) or PARCO (Shibuya, Ikebukuro) rather than Takashimaya Shinjuku, which I don't consider inexpensive.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/18 15:51
I've gone around Takashiyama Shinjuku and most of its goods are from high end designer brands (think Gucci, Tiffany, Fendi, Celine).
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/18 23:22

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 10:20
Thank you for the suggestions. The reason why I wanted to narrow down the department store I go to is because I only have one day to shop. If I end up going to the wrong place, it would have meant I wasted one day's itinerary.

I will try Parco and Lumine then! Thank you very much! Is there a specific Parco/Lumine you would recommend I should go to?

I was wondering about going to a shopping street as well but last time I went to Takeshita Dori and the fashion there was too lacy/frilly for my taste. And there were too many teenagers! Is there a more mature location I can go to?
by miara rigawa rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 10:57
Shinjuku or Shibuya
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 11:27
Shibuya has a good mix of stores for both teens and older. As a 25-year-old I'm still partial to H&M (flagship store is in Shibuya); there's also a Zara and several department stores.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 13:14
Shibuya or Shinjuku then? How about Ikebukuro?

Is that also an option? Also, how are the prices is Shibuya HIKARIE? Is that in my range at all?

I wish I was going on a sale week! How often do stores do sales? Not crazy end of the year sales that are 70% off, but at least 10-20% off?

And do PARCO and LUMINE offer tax free for foreigners?

We have ZARA, Forever21 (I don't like their quality much) H&M so I'd rather go to brands more only in Japan, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 13:30
Shibuya or Shinjuku then? How about Ikebukuro?

Yes, Ikebukuro has a similar range of shopping as Shibuya and Shinjuku.

Is that also an option? Also, how are the prices is Shibuya HIKARIE? Is that in my range at all?

Hikarie is slightly higher end I feel, but there are tons of department stores all right next to each other in Shinjuku or Shibuya. You can't go wrong with either really, and if the store doesn't feel right, go next door to the next one. No time lost really.

I wish I was going on a sale week! How often do stores do sales? Not crazy end of the year sales that are 70% off, but at least 10-20% off?

There are always sales going on.

And do PARCO and LUMINE offer tax free for foreigners?

Yes, by now every major department store and chain store offer tax free shopping.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 15:52
Thanks for all the advice!

Can I also get some recommendation? I was looking into onee gyaru style and I really want to check out some shops that cater more of this style. Which brands do you recommend?

Dresses can be as expensive as $120.
Blouses, Shorts or Skirts around $50.

And maybe some fashion accessory/jewelry shops as well?

Re: Shopping in department stores 2016/4/19 18:07
Actually, any district with a department store has other stores that sell cheaper clothes. But Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are all huge shopping districts, so it could be easier to find or ask for alternatives.

Either way, if you do visit a department store, be sure you check ALL the floors. The expensive stuff are more accessible, but they do sell cheaper things too, if you ask and walk around.

reply to this thread