Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone please help me translate? 2016/4/23 07:11
Hello ! I would really appreciate some help on a translation I have no idea how to put in the right order...

Here is the text :

僕が好きになるかどうかの方が
僕には大切だから

僕は自分が好きになった人を

命をかけてオトしたい
口説きたいというか

その人と一緒に居たい

I am lacking clues in japanese to be able to translate it on my own...
Any help would be much appreciated !

Thank you !
by Noctalys (guest)  

Re: Can someone please help me translate? 2016/5/1 10:06
Are you a student of the Japanese language who cannot quite figure it out (it is like a poem/lyric, so the word order is somewhat unusual, and it is in a colloquial style) or just someone trying to decipher a song lyric or something and have no clue how to read it?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can someone please help me translate? 2016/5/1 19:46
I am a student of the japanese language. I know how to read it, but I cannot figure the meaning out clearly... especially this part :

命をかけてオトしたい
口説きたいというか

Since there are no kanji for "kakete", and "oto" is in katakana, I feel clueless... and I do not know who is the subject.

And for the beginning : 僕が好きになるかどうかの方が 僕には大切だから I feel there is a implicit word I cannot discover...

Thank you for confirming me it is an usual sentence, it is somehow reassuring to me.
by Noctalys rate this post as useful

Re: Can someone please help me translate? 2016/5/1 22:07
My take is something like (a guy talking):

"Whether I fall in love with a person
matters more to me

I want to do my darndest to
seduce the one I've fallen in love with,
persuade (her) to be mine, in other words

I want to be with that person"

命を かける can be written as 命を懸ける but this one is often not used.
"Inochi wo kakeru" is "place my life at stake," thus I translated it as "do my darndest/best."
オトす is a colloquial way to write 落とす, and when written in katakana like this, it is a... somewhat casual way to say "seduce (a woman)," "get her to say yes," something along with that line.

The line:
口説きたい と いうか
might be a bit confusing too, as this "...to iu ka" is an ending often used again in colloquial speech to be a bit evasive, instead of saying something definitively, and in this case it might show the guy's hesitation, that is why I added "in other words."

And about the first two lines, I am at a loss about "whether I fall in love with someone" matters more than WHAT :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can someone please help me translate? 2016/5/5 07:23
Thank you so much for your explanation ! It is very clear to me now !

For "kakeru", I was sure it would be the idea of a bet, but I did not understand why it was in hiragana instead of kanji... and the "oto" in katakana was a mystery as well !

Thank you again ! :D
by Noctalys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread