Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/5/1 03:13
I have a small tattoo at my shoulder since many years ago and I know tattoos are not positive business in Japan.

Would staying at a ryokan pose any problem if having one? Mostly for the onsen part... Or should I cover it up with something?

I know you should clean yourself before entering bath, would putting a band aid or something not be seen as rather "unclean"? Like having a wound or something?
by Lolo (guest)  

Re: Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/5/1 17:31
Hi. I'm 25years old Japanese.
I sometimes see people who has tattoo when I go to "Onsen" n "Ryokan" .
Recently Japanese people like me , We don't mind , if it is so small.
so you don't hahe to mind n please enjoy your trip.
But I want you to know one thing as Japanese sociology.
There are some people who mind tattoo. Because,tattoo has been beliebed that mafia has in Japan.
If you mind tattoo, you shoulud cover it.

Please forgive me my lousy English.
by t masataka rate this post as useful

Re: Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/5/2 07:56
Actually band aids or medical tape are pretty common ways to cover tattoos, and it's fine to wear them in the onsen. You might find having one to cover your tattoo with will avoid any problems.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/5/6 06:22
Thank you for your answers. I don't mind your English masataka-san, I understood you good.

I came across this page on luck:

http://www.japantrendshop.com/tattoo-cover-aqua-stickers-p-3140.html

Seems like it might be something. I suppose it can be bought in Japan as well, any clue where it might be found? Pharmacies? 100-yen shops? Supermarkets? Conbini?

by Lolo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/5/27 19:04
I am a tattoo artist in Tokyo. It is depending on ryokan that accept tattooed people. But most places have difficulty about tattoos, as you said.
I think it is better to bring that bandage stuff from your country. You can buy just normal waterproof bandage at chemist but sometime cover tattoo. I mean transparent?  or you can use sport tape to cover your tattoo. I am sure you can buy sport tape at chemist.
by HorienSWALLOW ART (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Small tattoo at ryokan ok? 2016/6/2 21:34
Wow! I'm moving to Japan and my entire back is tattooed along with ribbons on the back of my lower legs. The cross that starts my back tattoo is visible. I guess I'll be wearing a lot of fashionable scarfs. Thank you so much for each of your posts.
by joat43 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread