Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/2 23:33
Just wondering if anybody knows of a nice local fruit shop located in Asakusabashi?

I like to eat an apple every day and plan to continue during our trip to Japan. We will be staying near Asakusabashi station. I'm aware that I can buy apples at convenience stores or supermarkets, but I'm a little wary because the last time we were there, my mother bought a banana at a convenience store and had to throw it out because it tasted overwhelmingly like fish. I'm sure it was just a fluke, maybe it was stored along with some fish product for too long, but now I feel a little afraid to trust fruit from convenience stores.

If there is no fruit shop in Asakusabashi, would going to Ameyokocho in Ueno be a better option?

Thank you!
by Kirjava444 (guest)  

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/3 23:22
Apples are typical autumn/winter fruit, so it's not currently available at any shops.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/3 23:35
That seems odd, and I was sure I had seen apples during previous spring trips there. But maybe I was wrong. I guess I'm just used to having them year-round here. Thanks for the answer!

by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/3 23:49
Looking around, it seems strawberries should be available. Is that true? I could use them as a substitute.

I would still like to know if there are any small fruit shops in Asakusabashi, as well!

Thank you

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/9 10:43
Apples are typical autumn/winter fruit, so it's not currently available at any shops.

Wait, what?!? Apples pretty much widely available year round. I just bought one yesterday...

I'm aware that I can buy apples at convenience stores or supermarkets, but I'm a little wary because the last time we were there, my mother bought a banana at a convenience store and had to throw it out because it tasted overwhelmingly like fish. I'm sure it was just a fluke, maybe it was stored along with some fish product for too long, but now I feel a little afraid to trust fruit from convenience stores.

Most likely this was your mother's mind playing tricks on her. Seafood and fruit follow different supply chains and were likely never stored near each other.

Now regarding your question, I didn't look specifically, but people do live in Asakusabashi so there should be the occasional green grocer around. And while it probably doesn't matter what type of store you buy your fruit from (they all come from the same sources, especially bananas), just the mental aspect alone may be worth the effort to search out an alternative shop.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/9 11:25
Thanks so much! I did some looking around and it looks like there is a fruit shop pretty close to the station, so I'll probably look for that!

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/9 17:41
No,no, fresh apples are typical autumn/winter fruit, so they are not available at moment.
Dried apple and apple juice are available whole year around.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/11 04:12
Just in case anyone is wondering about the outcome, yllwsmrf is indeed correct. I arrived in Narita last night and saw apples at the first convenience store I visited!

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/11 09:55
Just in case anyone is wondering about the outcome, yllwsmrf is indeed correct

Thanks for following up on that.

And in case you were wondering, it seems like every local discussion board has its local troll; someone who gets a kick out of posting as much misinformation as possible. It seems like you've encountered the one here.

As for your original question, I always think of fruit stores as specializing in gift fruit - $200 melons and that sort of thing. I'd just look for a good supermarket, which will probably have better produce than a convenience store on average.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/11 15:21
I saw some in most Lawsons/7-11/Family Marts last visit.

Your hotel reception staff should be able to point you in the correct direction of a shopping mart or fruit store.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fruit shop in Asakusabashi 2016/5/12 05:07
Apples are an autumn fruit, however cold storage technology allows fresh apples to be available year round. The apple you're eating in May was probably picked back in September.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread