Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best time to go to sumo festival 2016/6/10 09:29
There are a group of us going to the sumo tournament in Nagoya in July 2016. Just wanted to know when are the good bouts on. I don't mind watching young or beginners but wanted to know when the big fights are on. We have never seen sumo before and not sure of rules or manners for this event so I do not want be a fool or embarras the group.

I.e, is cheering allowed as I understand the Japanese people are reserved and do not want to cause embarrassment or insult the locals. Is there a dress code for this type of event.

Many thanks
by David mcgovern (guest)  

Re: Best time to go to sumo festival 2016/6/10 20:53
The higher classes start with the introduction of the wrestlers at about 3:40pm. Usually the bouts are between 4-6pm on each day. The last day, which is usually the hardest to get tickets if the championship hasn't been decided yet tends to eand just a little earlier than 6pm.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to go to sumo festival 2016/6/10 21:00
There is no dress code, per se, but if you dress appropriately for the weather, you should be fine. Last time I went to one I had a polo and cargo shorts.

You'll see that cheering is allowed, but usually after each bout, unless there is a good, long bout going on at the time. Usually it's just clapping louder and louder with not much vociferous expressions other than an "ooh" or "aah". Once you're there, you'll catch on.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread