Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/24 16:53
Hi,

My partner and I got engaged last month. I am a Malaysian, currently residing in the UK (studying), and he is a Japanese, staying in Japan. We do have plan to settle down either in Japan or in the UK (once I completed my study). We plan to do the wedding possibly end of this year, in Japan, since the procedure seems much simpler compared to Malaysia's (there's time constraint on our availability to be in the same place as well, so we are opting for the less time consuming one).

I'm aware with the documentation required for marriage registration in Japan, by the city hall (also by the mosque). Except there is one problem, since I'm not residing in Malaysia, I'm not very clear where to go to to apply for the Verification Letter of Marital Status, which will then be converted to Certificate of Impediment by Malaysian embassy in Japan.

Could anyone share any information on this?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance. :)
by HaH1213  

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/24 19:47
Ask the Malaysian embassy in the UK or in Japan. Since this is really not about Japan, it's off-topic here.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/24 19:58
Thanks for the prompt reply.
:)
by HaH1213 rate this post as useful

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/25 11:20

there is 2 way of doing it, fast or slow.

fast, you do it at JPN Putrjaya , only take less than a day if you get all the necessary document ready.

slow, you do it at embassy, preferably at Malaysian Embassy at Tokyo since you going to register marriage in Japan. It will take times at 3-4 weeks since they need to forward your application back to JPN Putrajaya and vice versa for process.

Do take note that the letter only valid for 150days but on Japanese side, they only accept document dated within 90 days of issued.

Procedure and necessary docs for application Single Status Letter at JPN Putrajaya. Note this is for non-muslim.

http://www.feliciazoe.com/2015/06/how-to-get-single-status-in-malaysia...

http://www.malaysiabrides.com/forum/topic/8630-who-can-tell-me-where-t...

Also note that you need extra document/letter for muslim marrying overseas. On Japan side, as long as you have all the document ready, translated it is all simple. Will have some complication/more works for you to register your marriage in Malaysia as Muslim.

http://www.jawi.gov.my/my/prkahwinan/senarai-prosedur
by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/25 23:27
Terima kasih atas maklumat yang sangat berguna! :)

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/26 13:40
sama-sama.
you're welcome.

found something that might be of use.
PDF file on procedure and documentation from KLN for marriage in Japan. kind of confusing though, better confirm.
http://goo.gl/ZPn0k5

toksah layan sangat mamat tu. dia tu kekadang mengacau je keje.

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/27 11:52
Wow, thanks a lot!
You are very helpful. Glad I posted this out.

P/s: Terima kasih, ingatkan dah takde harapan nak dapat respon yang appropriate dari forum ni. :D

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/6/27 13:16
Nothing wrong in posting questions on this public forum. You'll get all sorts of replies.
Glad to be of help, am just returning the favours to the forum.

Wish you all the best.

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/7/18 16:16
Make sure your single status letter is endorsed by KDN Malaysia. If not, it's not consider as valid.

I've gone through the hassle and complications as I'm married to Japanese too.
by Yuki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Malaysian Muslim To Marry Japanese 2016/8/24 14:19
Based on experience, the steps are (sorry if there's any mistakes):

1) Take time to go back to Malaysia. You need to go to Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah to send the form "Permohonan Kebenaran Berkahwin (Perempuan)". And also the form "Persetujuan Wali dan Wakalah Wali" if your wali couldn't perform the nikah for you in Japan thus naming somebody else to be your wali. You need copy (I forgot if you need certified copy or not) of the IC of yours, your wali, and two male witnesses. You need to go together with your wali and two male witnesses, because there all of you will sign the forms in front of the Penolong Pendaftar Nikah. So it's better if you call the Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah first to make appointment with the Penolong Pendaftar Nikah, and confirm what other documents you need to bring.

2) Then, go to Japan (I don't know if you can do it by mail or at other country). Bring the documents you got from Malaysia, to the Embassy of Malaysia in Japan. There, the embassy will give you "Certificate of No Impediment To The Marriage", and the translated version in Japanese. Probably your husband-to-be must bring his Koseki Touhon (Certificate of Family Register) and you may need other documents.

3) Go to the City Hall (Kuyakusho/Shiyakusho) of your husband-to-be's residence (or maybe other place that are easy for you two). There, you will submit the "Marriage Registration" (Kon-in Todoke) form. In the form, you need the stamp of your husband-to-be, and also two witnesses. You need to provide the Koseki Touhon of your husband-to-be, your passport (I forgot if they'll copy it for you), and the "Certificate of No Impediment to the Marriage" with its translation, that you get from the Embassy of Malaysia in Japan, (and maybe other document also, please confirm with the City Hall).

The City Hall may need some time to register your marriage and re-arrange the Koseki Touhon. So, in the meantime, you can ask them to provide you the "Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage Report" (Kon-in Todoke Jyuri Shoumeishou). This will be a temporary proof of your marriage (according to the Japanese civil law). You will need this certificate or the new Koseki Touhon for your akad nikah in the mosque/Islamic Center.

4) Then, you can arrange your akad nikah in the mosque/Islamic Center in Japan. Your husband-to-be may need to bring his Muslim Certificate, or he can sign a new one before the akad nikah.

5) You can register your marriage in Malaysia when the two of you stay for good in Malaysia. But anyhow, you may want to register it earlier when you visit Malaysia, because you said you may not stay in Malaysia. The documents needed are as in:

http://www.jawi.gov.my/my/prkahwinan/senarai-prosedur/pernikahan/dafta...

You may already found the answer. Good luck and congratulations :)
by Long (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread