Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/13 10:17
I wan to give my son name, Keizou/Keizo. But, I also want to know is it old fashioned name or not. How do I know which name is old fashioned or being a trend now? I googled many sites about name popularity, and it seems single kanji name is being popular, like Ren, Kai, Shun, etc. How about two kanji name, especially with last kanji pronounced -zou? Thank you.
by rantaro (guest)  

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/16 15:37
I think Keizou is old fashioned name.
Name whose last kanji is -zou seems to be old fashioned.
But two kanji name is not old!there're many two kanji names rather than one kanji names.
For example Daiki,Hayato,Yuuta,Naoki...
I wish I can be a help!
by kyu0m rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/16 21:20
But, is it still ok for current trend? I mean it is not like very very old fashioned?
Thanks
by rantaro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/16 21:27
If you are told it is very very old-fashioned, are you going to ask next whether it is very very very very old-fashioned?

What is your actual question?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 02:46
What kanji would you use for "-zo(u)" in his name?

A Japanese name of a man ending with the kanji meaning three which is read "zo(u)" can imply that he is the third son who was born between his parents, though of course there have been persons who are actually not in that case, such as the current PM Mr. Abe and former PM Mr. Obuchi.
(For your information: Mr. Keizo Obichi suddenly fell down in April 2000 while he was PM and passed way in May.)

Another kanji, which means a warehouse, is also used last for "-zo(u)" in Japanese names of men.

How about two kanji name, especially with last kanji pronounced -zou?

That depends on persons who hear or see it, but to me it sounds somehow historically old, reminding me of or making me think of characters during the 16th to 19th centuries who appear in dramas.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 06:17
I would choose some more modern, such as Kisuke.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 09:45
My actual question is:

I really like -zou/zo name with kanji ‘’, it sounds cool for me. But since I don't really understand what is going on in japanese society about baby name, I liitle bit worry for that name will get some "negative" comment from japanese people because it is an old fashioned name. Surely I hope it is an acceptable name for young people nowadays.

Thank you.

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 11:33
It is certainly not "trend now," in the sense that one would not be included in the "top 10 (or 20) baby boy names this year," but I believe those names with "-zou" have been around for many years, and have a good, solid feel to it.

Names' popularity goes through wild cycles - it is true now the "trend" is for single-kanji, or even very hard-to-read names (almost like the sounds are arbitrarily assigned to the kanji. In the same way that girls' names ending in "-ko" have been disappearing, some boys' names with "-zou" or "taro" are less popular.

(But note this is coming from a Japanese woman in her early 50s, who has a name ending with "-ko," so my view might be on the oldish side :).)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 11:48
Thank you for the answer guys.

I only want to convince myself that that name is still acceptable for new born baby nowadays. I don't really care about top 10 or 20 popularity. I just don't want to hear a comment like "why you name your son with an old man name?" :(

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 15:51
Keizou is certainly a little bit old-fashioned or out of actual trend, but I think this name is even today acceptable enough for a new-born baby. If you like the name Keizou, give it with confidence to your baby.
I will show for examples several kei-sound and zou-sound kanji suitable for a name:

kei
Œ[ (to open, to enlighten, to lead, to guide)
Œh (to respect)
Œb (blessing, grace(ful), mercy(iful), charity(itable) [can replace the next kanji in ’qŒd^’qŒb^’mŒb ‚Ώ‚¦ chiej
Œd (wise, clever, intelligent)[one of the permitted kanji for names]
Œc (to celebrate (tion), happy(iness), joy(ous)

zou(zo)
‘’ (to produce, to create, to construct, to achieve)
‘  (place where are stored precious things, warehouse, storehouse)
ŽO (three, the third son or child as in the name of our prime minister Shinzo(u) WŽO Abe, but in reality, he is not likely to be the third son, but the second son c]
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Keizou/Keizo an old fashioned name? 2016/7/17 19:02
Thank you very much! Your answer made me relieve :D

reply to this thread