Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/19 20:22
My impression is that "shitsurei na" would usually mean something like "How rude!" but, could it sometimes mean something more like "Excuse me!" said sarcastically?

An example from fiction is what made me wonder: A guy is pedaling a bicycle with a girl riding on the back. He makes a comment along the lines of "Pedalling this is hard because of all your added weight." She responds, "shi- shitsurei na" and something about the way she said it made me wonder.

Sorry for the odd question....
by Harimogura  

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/20 10:16
Even under that situation I would say that means "how rude," "how dare you say something like that," but maybe she was blushing or something? She was embarrassed by his reference to her (heavy) weight!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/21 08:43
"shitsurei na" means "how rude!". It also has the implication of a sarcastic "excuse me" like you said, but Japanese people don't really use sarcasm, so words like "shitsurei na" usually have a direct meaning which in this case translates as "that's rude" or " how rude".
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/21 12:58
shitsurei, 失礼
失 lose
礼 politeness.
the word can use from both sides, I and you, without saying the subject.
"you (your words, your actions) are rude." or
"I am rude. "

the last example you shown is : a woman says that his words about her heavy weight is rude.

you means "sarcastically", it is the example of "I am rude."
this usage is common in intelligent people.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/22 00:14
She, a female, would say "shitsurei ne", not "na" .
"shitsurei!" alone can be used for "Pardon", "Excuse me" when you try to pass or ask somebody standing in front of you and to make way for you, i.e. getting off a crowded train.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/28 12:52
Thank you for your kind responses. I suppose I just have to accept the ambiguity inherent in not specifying the object.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Shitsurei na - Language Question 2016/7/28 19:33
ay,
A female could say either, "Shitsurei ne!" (How rude!) or "Shitsurei na (hito ne)!" (Short for "what a rude person!").

Harimogura,
Additionally, if that woman wanted to say "Oh, excuse ME for being heavy!" in a sarcastic way, she could have said "Shitsurei shimashita ne!," referring to herself as the one who offended him with her big weight (of course said sarcastically).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread